cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve score for mortgage loan, need help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Improve score for mortgage loan, need help!

@Anonymous wrote:

Student loans are in Forebearance they are $4000 total that's the only thing on my credit thats not paid off. Should I start pain or wait until the end of the Forebearance term

The SLs, no baddies on them, right?

Have you ever paid down any of the balance or is this the original balance?

Is this your only installment loan?

I think the same thresholds exist for SLs as any installment loan. @Anonymous correct me if I am wrong, but that is under 60% and 9%? 

If those are the thresholds and you are at say, 100%+ of the original loan, then it would only helo you score-wise if you could get it under one or both of those thresholds. If you cannot make it under even 1 of the thresholds, I would save your efforts.

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, just a quick reminder that FedLoans are currently at 0% until the end of Jan, so if you do want to pay, it couldn't be a better time since interest isn't racking up! 

Message 22 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think OP is worried about the mortgage Scores, so those thresholds won’t really matter but 10% and 65%. There in forbearance so we didn’t know the effect on score.
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think OP is worried about the mortgage Scores, so those thresholds won’t really matter but 10% and 65%. There in forbearance so we didn’t know the effect on score.

I do not believe forbearance affects scores other than they will either calculate the SLs at 1% (customary) or another %, depending on lender, for DTI calculations. I believe OP would need to take them out of forebearance to prove the minimum payment otherwise. If it is a IBR plan, only certain lenders are willing to work with that and often many discard it and work with their calculation. I have seen this vary from 0.5%-2% of the balance. Since the loan(s) is not huge, only OP can determine if the DTI will impact them significantly and base their lender off of that.

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 🙏 

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

January almost a year ago 

Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then you should get some more points this January
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the original amount didn't have to start making payments until this January so no bad marks on it so if I start paying it down my score might start to climb 

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's the original amount didn't have to start making payments until this January so no bad marks on it so if I start paying it down my score might start to climb 

@Anonymous sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the 30 day late was January a year ago. I was asking when the 30 day late was?

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.