Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Included Home in Bankruptcy and Still Shows Foreclosure on My Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Included Home in Bankruptcy and Still Shows Foreclosure on My Credit Report

Hello,

I went through a nasty divorce in 2010 and had to file banckruptcy which was completed and discharged by Sept 2010.  I am now financially stable and have a credit score of over 700 and looking to purchase a home (by myself). When appling for a loan I was told I couldn't get one right now because I have a foreclosure on my record from Chase dated April 2011.  How is this possible?  What are my options?  The home was included in the chapter 7 bankruptcy so I don't understand.  

Thanks for any information.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Included Home in Bankruptcy and Still Shows Foreclosure on My Credit Report

My input is marginal at best, but when did the house sell from the foreclosure?

Message 2 of 12
kg2011

I am not sure exactly. I was told from the loan officer that the records stated there was a foreclosure action against it in April 2010, but I think it was actually sold in a sheriff sale early this year.  I just don't understand how the bankruptcy didn't cover everything; it is all very confusing. 

Message 3 of 12
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Your BK discharged your financial liability.  The lender retained their security interest in the home, and the clock starts from the date the deed is recorded out of your name.  It seems unfair but that's how the game is played.  If the bank bought the house in at a sheriff's sale they may just be sitting on it, banks have reasons they prefer not to take title and we (borrowers) lose.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@kg2011 wrote:

I am not sure exactly. I was told from the loan officer that the records stated there was a foreclosure action against it in April 2010, but I think it was actually sold in a sheriff sale early this year.  I just don't understand how the bankruptcy didn't cover everything; it is all very confusing. 

The bankruptcy only removes your personal liability to repay the loan, which is a good thing. However, the bankruptcy does not do anything to remove the mortgage lien from the property. 

In order for the mortgage lien to be removed from the property, the bank has to either go through the foreclosure process or the Deed in Lieu process or you, as the seller, go through the short sale process. The mortgage lien has to be officially removed through one of those three ways in order to "complete" the transfer of the home from you to someone else (the bank or another buyer).

If you decide to go buy something else, the new lender wants to see what happened to the last mortgage. The new lender will go from the transfer date to the application date to determine if you qualify for a new loan. Some lenders will give you a new mortgage after 3 years (mainly FHA). Others want you to have a longer time period (conventional).

Message 5 of 12
kg2011

Thanks for the explaination. So how do I go about finding the exact dates I need to look at?  Would calling Chase be the best way or are these kept online somewhere?  Is there anyway to get a mortgage sooner?  

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Go to your public records section for your county. Check the dates and download a copy of the Certificate of Title (CT). This is the date that the bank took it back. In my county you can look it up under the address and go to the clerk of courts to get a copy of the CT. Your county might be similar.

Message 7 of 12
kg2011

Great, thanks everyone for the information.  Not really what I wanted to hear but the truth is better than not knowing and living in the dark. At least I have an idea on where I need to go from here.  Hopefully I can get a home soon because I am tired of renting.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will give a definite answer to your question in a few months. Having new custom home built with the blessing of the lenders broker. I have only small amount of money down. Builders gonna be mad at his broker if he can't get mortgage he said he could get. The loan denial won't be my fault. It took the bank over three years to foreclose on the house after Chapter 7 discharge. Should be a fun ride.

Message 9 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Not every lender is the same. But the information that I have regarding VA loans is different. This is what I have on file from lenders in my area:

2 years from date f/c was completed and transferred back to the bank; 12 to 23 months if there are acceptable extenuating circumstances.

The good news for a VA loan after a short sale, if there were no late payments on the mortgage or consumer debts for twelve months prior to the short sale, AND the borrower is not taking advantage of market conditions, then there is no waiting period

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.