Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection Process

tag
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Inspection Process

So, after our offer was accepted we had an inspection this morning.

There were some major concerns, most notably with the roof. Shingles missing, shoddy patchwork and definitely a concern about the age. The inspector said the roof is probably 15 years old...though the disclosures said it was "probably around 8 years old".

There were also some code issues, nothing major there but obviously need to be taken care of. But there was also an issue with the upstairs bathroom and the plumbing.

My question is...now that we go back to the seller and show him the list of concerns that need to be addressed, how realistic is it that sellers handle them?

I dont expect a new roof, but I want at least half of the cost at closing. The code issues NEED to be addressed as does the bathroom plumbing. It seems like a lot that he will have to have taken care of...aside from some other minor concerns we have.

But in everyones experience, how likely is it that the seller takes care of these kinds of things?

Also, they advertised a first floor laundry and didnt even bother to put in a gas line for the dryer...or a powerful enough outlet to handle an electric dryer...

Thoughts?

Keep in mind we are going FHA...some of this stuff will come up again in their inspection/appraisal if not addressed.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Inspection Process

The seller should be able to put a new roof on as that is usually covered by homeowner's insurance. As far as the plumbing in the bathroom, if it is not up to code, the seller will need to bring it up to code.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 9
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

I dont think homeowners insurance will cover replacing an old roof. If it was damaged by a storm or something...sure. but not a roof that has deteriorated on its own.

Message 3 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

True. I just considered that a possibility as our previous landlord replaced the roof two years after it was damaged and then with the seller claiming it is an 8 yr old roof versus a 15 yr old roof could possibly mean it was damaged by weather.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 9
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

So my inspector just called me (hes awesome) saying that as he blew up the pictures the roof is in much worse condition that previously thought. Lots of missing shingles.

How the seller can get away with claiming its an 8 year old roof is beyond me. He also thinks the chimney does not even exit to the roof! **bleep**? how does that even happen???

Message 5 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Seller does not have to fix anything. But then you walk away.

In my personal experience when these types of issues arrise I honestly never trust the seller to make proper repairs. Im sure many do but my experience has taught me otgerwise.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 6 of 9
acleynes
New Contributor

If you are able to get the home insured with such a decrepit roof, you will not get the best insurance premium until you fix the roof.

Starting Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Current Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Goal Score: 850

Message 7 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yep my previous landlord is a prime example of a shady seller. Every single repair on the house was done by an unlicensed, unprofessional handyman which explained why things were breaking in that house left and right. And I walked away and found a home I knew was in good condition. I feel sorry for whoever buys that house as they are going to have a lot of repair bills.

The last thing you want after just buying a house is costly repairs.
Message 8 of 9
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

Well the chimney issue is ok. The inspector went back to check on it and its good to go.

I am having a cousin of mine who's a roofer go out to the house and give an estimate on the cost to replace.

The goal is to get the seller to pay at least half at closing.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.