Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting situation with landlord

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Interesting situation with landlord

My landlord is selling his rental, the house we live in right now. We are currently seeking a mortgage as well. No, we don't want to buy our current rental. The situation is that my landlord has already listed the house for sale and his agent has listed me as the point of contact to schedule appointments. I didn't think this would be a big deal but we are being overwhelmed with calls for showings. I am trying to figure out if I just invoke the clause in my lease that states that he can't require us to show until 60 days from the lease termination date (Apirl 1, 2013) or could I possibly get something in return from the landlord. Anyone been in this situation? I am open to ALL ideas and suggestions...

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Chadsnana
Valued Member

Re: Interesting situation with landlord

You could use this to your advantage and tell him that you want a significant rent reduction and cash for keys in the event that he sells before your lease is up.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC/
Message 2 of 4
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I was just thinking about the rent reduction. Maybe $500 since our rent is $1300...

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely you need to be reimbursed due to the inconvenience this is causing you. Most state landlord tenant acts require the tenant to enjoy their home in peace. First; notify the realtor that you should NOT be listed as the point of contact. 2nd; notify your landlord that he he may not show the house except for 1 day per week; or between the hours of x to y... set clear boundaries with him. If he insists that you have to let them show the house then send a letter certified mail which offers the reduced rent for your cooperation.

This sounds rediculous. You shouldn't be in this situation.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.