Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 4.25% good?

tag
tasha27
New Contributor

Is 4.25% good?

we just locked in our interest rate today.  was wondering is 4.25% good. tjis is our first house so we really dont know much about rates.

Starting Score: 485
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 730

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is 4.25% good?

yes

Message 2 of 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Historically it is a rock bottom rate (assuming a 30 year loan).  Might it go lower, sure, but no one can forecast the future.  You'll probably look back in a few years and say 'what a great deal we got on the loan rate'.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rate was 4.75...go figure, now you have me thinking!

Message 4 of 10
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

To answer if it is a good rate depends on a number of other items. 4.25 seems lower than the "normal" published rates at the moment. So to address your question one would have to know if it is a 30 year, 20 year, 15 year, adjustable rate mortgage. How many points are you paying. The more points you pay the lower your rate.

For a 30 year mortgage 0 or 1 point 4.25 would be very low.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why you get the rate so low with "Current Score: 657"
IF you didn't pay any point with that rate in 30y fixed your rate was very darm good.  I was locked the same rate as your but with my scores are 817 820 798.  And now I don't know I can close it in 45 days.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I locked in at a 4.25% and my middle score is 668. Super stoked about that!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i suppose it depends on the bank and your LO really... We just locked in at 4.50% with credit score of 626. Maybe to the person questioning the scores and such, maybe your LO just is a pain in the butt? lol (not to mean that in a rude way...) like most of the things I read about on here about getting the mortgage loan, turned out not to be true for us at all. Like whether or not we should pay things and whether or not they hurt the score, about what type of loan and how FHA's are getting picky etc. We havent run into any problems other than digging up papers and begging Wells Fargo to give us copies of deposited checks lol

I suppose it just depends and it is different for every person and every Bank and Mortgage guy you are working with.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I had that rate, i locked in at 4.75 last april and I would save over 100.00 a month if i had a 4.25

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I had that rate, i locked in at 4.75 last april and I would save over 100.00 a month if i had a 4.25

+1 ... I locked in at 4.75% too Smiley Sad  bummmmmmer!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.