Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is lender refusing FHA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is lender refusing FHA

I will keep this condensed. I went to my local bank for a mortgage. I have been with them for 10 years. We talked conventional, usda,fha. The lender submitted with FHA. I was preapproved for $75,000 because of DTI, with house payment would put me at 51%. I have since refinanced my car saving $100/mo. I am looking for a fixer upper to get the most bang for my buck. I asked her about fha 203k and she said “there is no such thing.” But it was the way she said it... I have money saved for a downpayment. Then I went to two more banks in my area and they both said I could apply for fha 203k. So I guess my questions are why would a lender not want to do fha203k and her telling me no program exists was that illegal. She never said “ we don’t like to do those loans” which I would have accepted better than her being dishonest. Any advice is appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Is lender refusing FHA

Not all banks offer every flavor of loan. The banks response may have been because they don't offer it.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope so. I wish she would have just said that if that was the case
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was a very unprofessional response in my opinion. There's a huge difference between saying there's no such thing and saying they specifically don't offer it at that bank. I would be very unhappy with that, as everyone knows there IS in fact "such thing." Maybe it's because I am frustrated with our process right now, but that answer she gave you really rubs me the wrong way.

Message 4 of 8
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

It is a very complex loan program and process that comes with higher risks and costs that some lenders just don't offer.  Continue shopping around if that is what you'd like to do---however, you definitely want to learn more about the program--the process from origination to finish isn't as easy as you might think it's' going to be so you want to talk with an experienced LO that knows what they are doing and can guide you through the process.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for taking time to respond.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. I would have accepted more if she said we don’t offer at this bank. I could have respected that. But she made it out like there is no such product.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I emailed my LO and asked her in a way where her response had to be yes or no. She finally admitted after being asked verbally 3 times “we do not do fha203k, other lenders may but I am not sure which ones.” I wish she could have said that from jump, it would have saved us a lot of frustration.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.