cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything other than time that can boost my Mortgage scores?

tag
onourwayfellas
Established Member

Is there anything other than time that can boost my Mortgage scores?

Hi all,

Kinda new to the boards but have read many of them so figured you guys could help me sort through my credit woes and help me put myself into position to be a 1st time home owner in the new (hopefully) future. My target goal is 4-6 months, but 1 year if more realistic.

Mortgage Scores:

EQ 583 TU 599 EX 567

Negative:

Collection 1: $1513 Money Key 5/2020 (Willing to pay but when I paid last one my score dropped. also have read I could possibly pay at closing if lender requires)

Collection 2: NCA Paid off 1/2021

Collection 3: TSI Paid off 8/2020

Open Credit Cards None ever late

Capital Bank Secured $120/$500 Opened Sept 2020

Capital Bank Secured $0/200 Opened March 2020

Self Lender Visa $109/500 Opened June 2020

Fingerhut $0/1000 Opened Aug 2020

Personal Loan

Upstart Loan $3750/4000 Opened 1/2021 (Was told i needed a variety of credit and this would help)

Fed Student Loan

$203,000 Currently deferred. Can do fully amoritized plan for $1300 or IBR for $600. Havent made changes to select one because FHA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Conventional all have different requirements and way to manage student loan payments so I didnt want to make the wrong choice.

Income: $87,000

Child support payment $1,100/ month

I live in Texas if that means anything.

If additional data points are needed to assist me I would be more than happy to provide

18 REPLIES 18
onourwayfellas
Established Member

Re: Is there anything other than time that can boost my Mortgage scores?

Also 90 day late on student loan 3/19.

Message 2 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@onourwayfellas  Below are benchmarks for FICO 8. Scores lenders use for mortgage are EX2, TU4, EQ5; should react similarly

Remember these aggregate utilization thresholds: 9%, 29%, 49%, 69%, 89%
Remember these individual utilization thresholds: 29%, 49%, 69%, 89%

If you're not crossing a threshold, you won't be getting points.

Look into AZEO Technique. All Zero Except One card reporting a small balance e.g. $5-$10. Use a bank card. Do not use a store card.

Get your CC aggregate utility below 4.5% for full FICO points optimization.

Scores will react positively with one revolving credit card reporting a balance.

Message 3 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 4 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 5 of 19
thornback
Senior Contributor

Seems your new accounts and collections are your biggest culprits right now.  Nothing you can do about the new accounts but allow them to age -  you want them to be at least a year old tho evidence suggest mortgage scores penalize for new accounts up to 17 months. So don't add anymore right now.  

The collections you've paid - have you tried getting them removed?  You should contact each agency and request a Goodwill deletion -  they may be inclined to grant the request since you've paid them already. 

The one that you still owe - have you asked if they will agree to a pay for delete (PFD) arrangement (payment in full in exchange for removal from your reports)? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 19
onourwayfellas
Established Member

@thornback wrote:

Seems your new accounts and collections are your biggest culprits right now.  Nothing you can do about the new accounts but allow them to age -  you want them to be at least a year old tho evidence suggest mortgage scores penalize for new accounts up to 17 months. So don't add anymore right now.  

The collections you've paid - have you tried getting them removed?  You should contact each agency and request a Goodwill deletion -  they may be inclined to grant the request since you've paid them already. 

The one that you still owe - have you asked if they will agree to a pay for delete (PFD) arrangement (payment in full in exchange for removal from your reports)? 

1. No, I hadn't tried to get the paid ones removed. I can try that.

2. I requested PFD and was told that they can't do that.

Thanks

Message 7 of 19
thornback
Senior Contributor

@onourwayfellas wrote

Is the debt still within SOL for debt collection in your state? If they are still within the time frame to take legal action - pay it so you're not at risk if having a judgment filed.

If it is outside of SOL then-- 

Is the tradeline updating each month? If so, it is going to keep your scores suppressed -  I know you said you've experienced score drops after paying a collection -- that often happens with the final update to reflect payment - but it's beneficial in the long term.  Paying it is the only way to prevent future updates and allow your scores to recover.

Also, once paid, they may be willing to remove the tradeline even though they won't agree to a PFD right now.  Once they receive payment many collection agencies no longer care about reporting. 

My advice is to pay it (in full or settle) and work towards removal afterwards. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 19
onourwayfellas
Established Member

@thornback wrote:

@onourwayfellas wrote

Is the debt still within SOL for debt collection in your state? If they are still within the time frame to take legal action - pay it so you're not at risk if having a judgment filed.

Is the tradeline updating each month? If so, it is going to keep your scores suppressed -  I know you said you've experienced score drops after paying a collection -- that often happens with the final update to reflect payment - but it's beneficial in the long term.  Paying it is the only way to prevent future updates and allow your scores to recover.

Also, once paid, they may be willing to remove the tradeline even though they won't agree to a PFD right now.  Once they receive payment many collection agencies no longer care about reporting. 

Still within SOL. I offer to settle they would only accept full balance which I am fine with paying. I just didn't want to pay and have it drop my score any lower.

Thanks

Message 9 of 19
thornback
Senior Contributor

@onourwayfellas wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@onourwayfellas wrote

Still within SOL. I offer to settle they would only accept full balance which I am fine with paying. I just didn't want to pay and have it drop my score any lower.

Thanks

Your scores will recover.  A judgment will require payment anyway and will be an added headache.   

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.