Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible

tag
Househunter121
Established Member

Is this possible

Currently i have a great credit score of around 740, but i have allot of credit card debt 30k, i plan on buying a new house soon and selling my current home, i was wondering since my debt to income ratio is high because of the credit cards if i can just transfer the debt to my wife's 0% card this way it shows i have 0debt? She will not be on the mortgage  me, and once we sell our current home ill use some of the equity to pay off the balance on her card after closing. Is this possible or will banks ask for her debt too even though she isn't on mortgage

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Is this possible

Her debts/payments only need to be considered if you are both: (a) in a community property state and (b) using government financing (FHA, VA or USDA).  If at least one of those isn't true, then your plan should work.  Alternatively, if you are purchasing and selling simultaneously then you can just pay off your debt at closing and it'll be excluded from your DTI calculation.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
Househunter121
Established Member

Mortgage would be in Indiana 

Message 3 of 4
MortgageMama
Regular Contributor

Indiana is not a community property state, so you are all good with your plan.

The Federal Savings Bank / Member FDIC / Equal Housing Lender / Lending in all 50 States / 25 Years in the Mortgage Industry
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.