Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint account installment loan problems

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Joint account installment loan problems

I want to know if a married couple who has a installment loan can have the bank separate the remainder balance and let each person pay their own half ? The original loan was 18,000 and now it is around 11,000. I have to make sure the bill is paid every month and he never has his money deposited in the bank when they automatically withdrawal it from my chase account . This has caused  a problem for me on too many occasions. I would rather not have a joint account with him. Do you think the bank will go for this or is it out of the question. My loan is from a different bank. Has anyone ever asked to do this ?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Joint account installment loan problems

The bank won't do it.  When you got the loan jointly, you both became responsible for the loan jointly or severally so they won't give up the right to collect the whole amount due from each party. This is why they like joint loans, if one fails to pay, they can collect the whole amount due from the other. I know you are current in your payments, but they  look at the actual contract and won't release a party from half the debt (which is what you are asking in a way). In order to change the contract, you would have to refinance, and that doesn't sound like it would help your current situation.

It also sounds like you have taken precautions by having a separate account and having the payment drafted from that account. Does his employer do direct deposit? If so, can you have him get his employer to split his paycheck into separate deposits? My daughter does this, she has her paycheck split so that $X goes into her main account and $Y into another account automatically each pay period directly from the employer. It might help your situation so that you don't have to rely on him making the physical deposit.

If he won't have the employer do it, then does his bank have the ability to do auto payments "person to person"? My bank does, maybe his does as well.

What it really sounds like is your husband does not have this particular installment loan payment very high on his list of priorities. If he did, he would have the payment in your account on time.

Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Joint account installment loan problems

they wont 'split the deal'

bhut they might let you each borrow half of the balance to pay it off.

in other words: they wont modify the deal. but they might consider 2 new loans.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.