Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LO suggests we seek credit repair service...not a good sign

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

LO suggests we seek credit repair service...not a good sign

My husband applied for an FHA loan in January. Although he had a bk in 2009 everything looked fine she said she would have no problem getting him a loan.  There were a few issues he had to work out but no deal breakers. I will not be on the loan but  the loan officer needed to pull my credit since we are in a community property state and my debts count against his income. Prior to her pulling my credit he was pre-qualified for about $170,000. After my credit was pulled we didn't hear from her for a few weeks.  I figured the process just takes some time. Finally my husband called down to the office. She was unavailable but we got this email late that afternoon. 

Thank you so much for your patience as we have been trying to research a way to help you qualify for a home loan.  We have run into a couple of issues that are going to be hard to overcome.  With XXX’s credit she has quite a few open collections and charge off accounts.  Some of these accounts are still reporting payments and since it is an FHA loan we must use all the non-borrowing spouse’s debt against you.  This brings down what you qualify for to about $80,000.

Our suggestion is that you should work with a credit repair company.  We recommend a great place called XXX.  XXX will need to get the foreclosed mortgage to show a zero balance and get the open charge off and collection accounts taken care of.  You will need to get any derogatory accounts showing opened after your BK deleted from your credit.  XXXX is showing a 0 balance but it was a derogatory account after the BK, this is a difficult thing to oovercome with an underwriter. 

If you are interested in the credit repair, contact XXX at XXX and let him know we sent you.  He can request a copy of your credit reports from us directly. The phone number is XXX-XXX-XXX.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

I emailed her back but got no response. I'm a little leery of credit repair companies I would rather try to repair my credit myself however I am not sure which of my collection & charge off accounts are still reporting payments. They are the ones I'd like to focus on. How can I tell by looking at my reports?  I've read conflicting information regarding collections/charge-offs of the non purchasing spouse.  I've already contacted Saxon Mortgage regarding the foreclosure still reporting a balance of $514,000(it's from 12/2008 it was in my name only). Would she be factoring that in what he qualifies for? Including the foreclosure I have $521,245 in debt. I have no judgments no revolving accounts just old collections from 2009.  Is she not responding because there is no way he can get a loan or should he look for another loan officer? I'm trying to beat the July 1st FHA deadline so that I don't have to pay the accounts off or be on a payment plan for 3 months. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: LO suggests we seek credit repair service...not a good sign

ptic - I'd suggest putting off the house buying for a while.   With what you have said, you/he does not qualify for a mortgage (through traditional means) at this time.

1.  Get a copy of your credit reports.

2.  Start plowing through them.   I'd start with making sure all of the accounts that were included in the BK are reporting accurately.

3.  Pay off the collections.   Ask them to PFD.

4.  With the foreclosure --- did they sell the house and transfer title out of your name?   When they do, they usually report a zero balance.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have copies of both of our credit reports from all three CRA's. Since she inially pulled his credit we have cleared two accounts from his now there are no deliquencies since the bk. The one she referred to with at $0 balance is no longer reporting on any of them . Only he filed bk  so I am the one with all the bad debt still lurking.  I have cleaned up a few of the accounts already since we began the process. I'm just not sure which ones count in the dti those would be the ones I could try to PFD. The trustee's sale was on 12/1/2008 the title  was transferred on 12/24/2008 & was sold again a few months later according to property records. 

Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

ptic - would you share your list of debts either by posting them or sending them to me as a private message?

1.  We can tackle each one, one by one, until things are cleared up.

2.  ALL of your debt, including anything that has "disputed" on it would count towards the DTI.

3.  And if the word "dispute" shows up on either credit report, it could stop the financing from getting final approval.

4.  Step by step, lets make a plan and move forward.

5.  Just out of curiosity - why didn't you file for BK?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.