Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late rent payments on rent to own home

tag
huck1081
Regular Contributor

Re: Late rent payments on rent to own home

Do the late payments show on your credit reports? If they do report as late, and you are purchasing from the person that reported to the bureaus that it's late, ask the seller to show that the payments were made on time. If they want to sell you the house then this would seem to be a reasonable accommodation. 

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The late payments do not show on my credit reports.

Message 12 of 17
huck1081
Regular Contributor

Unless the lender needs proof of timely rent payments you will be fine in that regard. 

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, thanks for the info! I guess it's up to the discretion of the lender to ask about the timely rent payments

Message 14 of 17
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info! I guess it's up to the discretion of the lender to ask about the timely rent payments

The lender has all sorts of verifications that they do once you make application.  They verify your employment, they verify your rent, they verify all sorts of things.  That is part of what you are authorizing when you make application for a mortgage.

Here is a link to explain about rental verifications:  http://www.mortgage101.com/article/how-rental-history-impacts-mort-application

It is not a good idea to have the landlord state your history differently than the actual history. You should be okay if your rent was paid late but not more than 30 days late since you have a good explanation and it was not a pattern of late payments.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is good to know. We did have one payment that was late over 30 days when I first got sick, but I paid it in partial payments eventually.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

After I got recovered from the first sickness, I got sick once again and it was at that time my boss added sick pay to my pay check going forward, so we were able to get caught up. And then we had a blizzard here and we were both out of work for almost 3 weeks and we couldn't pay anything until the following month.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.