Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders that will use actual student loan payment for DTI

tag
dollarsnsense
Established Member

Lenders that will use actual student loan payment for DTI

Does anyone know of any lenders that are following the newer student loan guidelines that state they can use the actual monthly payment when in a IBR plan for DTI? I have high student loan debt and have been told by 2 different lenders that they still follow the 1% of student loan balance rule to factor my student loan payment for DTI. This puts me well over the limit, but with my actual payment amount I would qualify. 

They explained to me this is because IBR has to be reapplied for each year and there is a risk that one might not qualify or have a increase in payment amount if there happened to be a jump in salary. I am a teacher... so no jumps in salary for me....😆

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Lenders that will use actual student loan payment for DTI

@dollarsnsense wrote:

Does anyone know of any lenders that are following the newer student loan guidelines that state they can use the actual monthly payment when in a IBR plan for DTI? I have high student loan debt and have been told by 2 different lenders that they still follow the 1% of student loan balance rule to factor my student loan payment for DTI. This puts me well over the limit, but with my actual payment amount I would qualify. 

They explained to me this is because IBR has to be reapplied for each year and there is a risk that one might not qualify or have a increase in payment amount if there happened to be a jump in salary. I am a teacher... so no jumps in salary for me....😆

Which loan type are you looking at? FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac? Each program has different rules on IBR, deferrment and % to use when the payment is listed as $0 on your reports. 

Message 2 of 11
dollarsnsense
Established Member

FHA. I am a first-time home buyer. 

Message 3 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@dollarsnsense wrote:

FHA. I am a first-time home buyer. 

What is the current payment listed on your credit report for the student loans? 

Message 4 of 11
dollarsnsense
Established Member

$274

Message 5 of 11
nelslt
Established Member

I just closed on my home on 2/24 with an FHA loan.  They used the actual amount reporting from the credit bureaus.  I am in an IBR repayment plan also.

Message 6 of 11
dollarsnsense
Established Member

Who do you have your mortgage through?

Message 7 of 11
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

My lender only ever used 1% if the loan was in deferment or forebearance. If the loan was active they used the actual payment. 

Message 8 of 11
dollarsnsense
Established Member

Who is your lender?

Message 9 of 11
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

@dollarsnsense wrote:

Who is your lender?

I've used Ameris Bank for my last 3, and that's been the case each time. First was during my graduation deferment (they used 1%, but since I was getting ready to come out right after closing and had paperwork of what my payment was going to be, they got that through underwriting). Second I was in regular repayment and they used actual payment. Third was during these covid deferrals and they used 1%.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.