Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little Confused

I've read many posts where individuals that had filed bankruptcy were able to get approved for a mortgage before they hit the 2 year mark from discharge with the condition that they could not close until they hit the 2 year mark. My wife and I have found a house that we love but I won't hit my 2 year mark until August 28th. We went and talked with a few mortgage brokers to see what we needed to do to get the process rolling so we could put in an offer at the end of this month(assuming the house would still be there) but every broker we talked to told me that I would't be able to apply until August 28th, my 2 year mark. None of them gave an explanation as to why and just told me to come back August 28th. Am I just talking to the wrong people? Has something changed? Did I misunderstand the posts I have been seeing? Thank you for your time.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Little Confused

You are talking to the right people. It is true, that if you have a Ch 7 BK that the 2 years is counted from the date of discharge to the application date for the new loan.

The people that can get approval in less than two years are 1) Ch 13 BK filers and 2) those Ch 7 filers that have extenuating circumstances. The vast majority of the filers do not qualify for extenuating circumstances.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.