cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan Officer Question - # of Months of Payment from Spouse to count as income for mortgage

tag
ArmyWifeMBA
Valued Member

Loan Officer Question - # of Months of Payment from Spouse to count as income for mortgage

My spouse and I are legally separated (we have a separation agreement which is enforceable in MD)  He is required to pay me $1000 per month of his military retirement. How many months does he have to pay me for it to count towards my income for a mortgage?  Is it 2 months or do I have to wait 2 years like a part -time job?  The CS is several years old and has at least 7 more years, so I know I can count it.

Thanks!

ex-ArmyWifeMBA 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Loan Officer Question - # of Months of Payment from Spouse to count as income for mortgage

3 months is the typical amount of time you'll need to have received the alimony/maintenance income, documented by bank statements or cancelled checks.  Copy of the separation agreement is also required to prove it'll continue for at least 3 years from the loan closing.  So as long as you've received the 3rd monthly payment prior to closing, you can use it, so it doesn't need to be 3 months at the time of the application.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
ArmyWifeMBA
Valued Member

Re: Loan Officer Question - # of Months of Payment from Spouse to count as income for mortgage

Clarification...it is not alimony or maintenance.  It is martial property...military retirement.  I make too much to qualify for alimory/maintenance.  Does the rule still apply as if alimony/maintenance?

I am sure it is treated the same, but wanted to make sure.  Sounds good about 3 months before closing.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

There aren't any guidelines regarding "marital property", in my opinion it'll be treated as maintenance income if the separation agreement stipulates that it is owed to you.  The only type of income like that which needs a longer amount of time is if it is voluntary and not ordered, if it is voluntary then it's 6 months before it can be used.

Military retirement (pension) can be used immediately though, so if you get something from the military saying you are getting $1k/mo pension income then all you need to do is supply the letter and receipt of 1 month and you are good.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.