cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to get an FHA loan soon. What do I need to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to get an FHA loan soon. What do I need to do?

Hi everyone, I have read these forums for months. I have learned some great things, but need some advice for my situation. I am looking to get an FHA loan around the middle of June. I would like to get my score as high as possible before then. Any advice is appreciated! Please help.

Here is everything on my credit report!

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy - Filed in 2014 - Dissmissed in March 2018
World Acceptance Corp. (Secured Loan) - Closed
SCA Collections Inc. (Medical Bill) - In collections (Placed for collection 6/19/2018) - Balance: $122
PBB IHC (Medical Bill) - In Collections (Placed for collection 7/5/2017) - Balance: $253
Fed Loan Servicing (Student Loan) - Current - Balance: $1,750
Fed Loan Servicing (Student Loan) - Current - Balance: $1,000
Fed Loan Servicing (Student Loan) - Closed
Fed Loan Servicing (Student Loan) - Closed
Approved Finance (Loan) - Charged Off - Balance: $365
PDQ Services INC - In Collections (Placed 01/27/2014) - Balance: $1,588

Where should I go from here to reach my goal for June? What should I do next? If any other information is needed, I will be glad to provide it.
12 REPLIES 12
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Looking to get an FHA loan soon. What do I need to do?

Other than the student loans, do you have any credit accounts (revolving or installment) open and actively reporting your on-time payments to the Bureaus (all 3) each and every single month?

67% of your credit score is determined by the manner in which you manage those open and active accounts and it seems to me you don't have them.

If valid, I'd recommend paying those medical bills.   Sure, they are going to be overlooked and excluded while purchasing a home using an FHA loan, but just being unpaid is a bad sign.

What's the nature of that $1588 PDQ collection account?  Is it utility based?  

Do either of those derogatory accounts list a payment amount in your "monthly" payment column that a lender will include in your DTI?  (This might be a hypothetical question at this point in time, but my point will be for you to get these accounts identified so that you can address them NOW so that they don't prohibit you from having the "best score" or prohibit you from buying a house. )  Think about it this way---You have two accounts that show $2000 delinquent or derogatory.   Don't you think you'll be better off in 6 months if those accounts (if valid) were reporting paid with a $0 balance?   This is why I would recommend paying them off or settling them if they are legit.

Do you have savings for down payment?  where are those funds coming from?

Do you have any savings for reserves?  

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The student loans are the only open credit accounts that I have. I will be contacting the collection agencies with the medical bills over the next few few days trying to get a PFD.

The PDQ collection is from an apartment I got when I was 18. I moved out early without paying the fees associated with it. I am now 24.

Neither account list a monthly payment. I do plan on addressing both very soon to hopefully get rid of them. At least, to have a $0 balance.

My wife and I will have a 10% down payment saved before June. I stated June because our savings every week from paychecks are on track to reach the 10% mark in June.
Message 3 of 13
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

First, regarding your Chapter 13 that was Dismissed, know there is no waiting period to purchase for either an FHA, VA or USDA RDL. Conversely, Conventional Loans will require at least a 2 year waiting period with extenuating circumstances and 4 years without. NonQM Loan Program may also allow a purchase or refinance without any waiting period but the rates and fees are much higher.  For now, let's assume you will finance using an FHA 203b loan. Since I would not be able to get an AUS (automated underwriting system) approval for you, your loan would be downgraded to a manually underwritten loan. Unless you are living with your parents or family member, you will need an acceptable (no 30 day late payments) 12 month rental history.

Second, the normal down payment with a 580> credit score is 3.5%, but if your credit score is 500-579, then your D/P will be increased to 10%. I would immediately open the closet, bring out the dead, and bury the bones. Meaning concentrate on cleaning up any open collections or charge off if you can. Next, since you have no revolving credit, your scores will stink. I would apply for a couple of secured credit cards and make sure you and your spouse go on the account jointly. Charge up to but not over the credit limit then strategically charge and pay maintain balances of less than 10% but NEVER $0. Do this and your scores with come up at least 45-75 points not including any collection pay offs or PFDs. Try and pay the original creditor or service provider on any collection accounts. If they accept payment from you, you can get the collection deleted. Hopefully this gives you a road map.

Best of luck to you!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This answered so many questions and gave me a lot of hope!

My current Fico is a 576. If I get the secured cards as you suggested plus get the collections removed or at least paid I am almost positive my Fico would be 580+ and I would qualify for that 3.5% down payment.

My spouse and kids live on our own. We have always been on time with rent but have no proof of it! We pay in cash. It’s not reported to any CB.

What are the odds of getting a manually underwritten loan? I am in Georgia.

I will be addressing the collections and charge off VERY soon!

Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Message 5 of 13
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

Having a VOR (verification of rent) is really important  on a manual. If you are paying a third party like a Apt. Complex, Management Company, Realtor you are good to go. But I would recommend for the months to follow, you need to start writing a check, pay online, or use money order that can be traced back to a bank account. I have had luck in some cases, where the borrower's bank statements for the past 12 months, clearly showed a withdraw of the rent backed up with rental receipts or a written verification of rent from the Landlord. Unless you can prove your paying it can be an issue and even a deal killer. That is unless you can get a letter from a relative stating you are living rent free.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The person I am paying is just a “private party” with some rental properties. Is it legal to have a relative write that out if it isn’t true? I’d love to have a home to call mine. I prefer it not be 10x10 though. Lol.
Message 7 of 13
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

No you can't fib! You should start by paying so the payment can be documented.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol. Okay. So, money order is valid as proof? I can pay her by money order. No big deal. I have a lot of times actually. Just not consecutively.
Message 9 of 13
JVille
Valued Contributor

No pay by check. Your account, they will need to document each and every check and the source of funds. Be sure and remember the UW will be looking at those same stmts for NSF fees and anything else out of the ordinary.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.