Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower DTI - Credit consolidation?

tag
timsim
Valued Member

Lower DTI - Credit consolidation?

I'm looking in the next couple of months to qualify for a mortgage.  Currently I have 7 credit cards and 3 with balances.  I pay about $175 per month on those 3 and  I owe about almost 8000 on those.  My question is if I get a loan to pay off those cards, it would be about $250 a month, wouldn't that be worse having a higher payment per month to get all my credit cards to zero?  Would the consolidation loan be counted towards my DTI?

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 630
Current Score: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lower DTI - Credit consolidation?

of course it will count towards your Dti

Message 2 of 4
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Are you trying to increase your scores? What is the interest rate and length of the loan?

The loan will count against your DTI, but it may be financially beneficial to get a loan with an interest rate. Since you are a few months out from applying for a mortgage, reducing your revolving outstanding debt would probably increase your scores...and you will pay less in the long run.

But you should make sure that your DTI is not thrown off due to the higher payment.

Good luck
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 4
timsim
Valued Member

Ok, thanks.  I'm more worried about my DTI than my credit score at this point.  I'll just stick with paying down the credit cards..

Starting Score: 630
Current Score: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.