Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made an offer...accepted! ----> a.k.a Home purchase venting thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made an offer...accepted! ----> a.k.a Home purchase venting thread

So...after all my scary thoughts about being approved because of my self-employment, I ended up getting approved no problem. Which by the way, was much less painful than I expected it to be!  Got the full approval and commitment letter before house hunting.

Went up to look at houses all weekend. Actually went into about 12, drove past about 20. Some we just didn't like from the outside or the block etc.  We had originally had it narrowed down to a few neighboring towns (moving out of state) but decided on on particular town towards the end of the trip.  Neighborhood was nicer, better schools, closest in terms of commute to city, etc.- it was just more "us" as well.  We saw a few that were okay but they needed a LOT of work. After going through the last house on the list - I was not impressed.So, we were talking about coming back up next weekend to try again. (Which is a major hurdle with a kid in school, a dog to board, neighbors looking in on cats, etc. argh!!!)

My realtor asks me why I didn't ask her to see one of the houses she sent me in the list of homes she sent me and I told her it just didn't 'wow' me and I didn't like the staircase going up to the bedroom in one of the photos, it looked really narrow and strange, etc. She tells me things can look really different in photos and it's right down the street, so why don't we just take a peek at it. Okay fine...we go in and it's perfect!  Kitchen needs remodeling, but I expected that...and wanted that. I don't want to pay for someone else's renovations I know what I want and wanted to do it myself.  Hardwood floors are in great shape, windows are fairly recent, roof looks only 2-3 years old, heating system is NEW and was converted from the old oil system to gas!! (Que: singing angels/music)

Yard is fenced and just needs a gate at end of driveway. Perfect for the doggie.  The neighborhood is full of similar style homes- great block. Everyone seems to maintain their property nicely, noteably landscaped even though it's winter and everything is dead. Now, it's a few hundred sq feet smaller than I had hoped for, but I think that the nicer neighborhood and better school district is worth the size compromise. 

Bank owned, but in surprisingly good shape. Made an offer yesterday, it was accepted today!! I offered only $5k under asking price, as I knew it was a great deal after seeing all the crap I saw for the whole weekend. The house across the street is 130 sq feet smaller and sold for $55k more 3 months ago. And, this home that I plan to buy sold for $104k more in October of 2007, so I think I'm getting a steal! I am so excited and so thankful for all of the support that has been given to me here!  I don't think I ever would have made it this far if it were not for this forum. 

Thank you, thank you!! 

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 03-25-2009 07:50 AM
Message 1 of 365
364 REPLIES 364
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Made an offer...accepted! Woo Hoo....

Congratulations!

I've enjoyed following your progress through the forums so i am very excited for you! And what a great lesson to the rest of us still looking... pictures can be deceiving Smiley Happy

Sending good thoughts your way so everything from here out goes just as smoothly! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 365
GFer
Valued Contributor

Wow! Congratulations to YOU!

Your scenario sounds sooo much like mine! My realtor threw one in one day (I usually only look at ones I pick out and send her). We pulled up in the driveway and I said 'NO" and started to get back into the car. She and my son convinced me into going in. I fell in love! Offer accepted today!

I know exactly what you mean about photos. I've looked at close to 80 now and none of them ever look like they do in pictures!!! Good or bad---they just don't!

Ironically, the night before and morning of the day I first saw this one I had looked at the pictures and said "EWWW! No way!" (Didn't even realize until after I had put a contract on this house that I had seen it in online searches a few times!)  After putting a contract on it was trying to pull up pics to show family. I was never so happy that listing was really wrong in showing the amount of rooms and bathrooms and the pics were horrible!

So, everyone out there looking....drive around as well as looking online. And if the listings seem to have what your looking for in an area that is acceptable to you---LOOK at it in person!

Again UP.....BIG Congrats!!!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 365
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 365
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, guys!  I feel like I am so close I can almost taste it.  It's still too good to be true, so I'm weary in the back of my mind. I can not wait until the day I find myself at the closing table. Oh what a nice feeling that will be!!
Message 5 of 365
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Huge congratulations to you. This is looking to be your year! It's so exciting to see people reaching their goals. I'm very happy for you.Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 365
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

HUGE congrats!! Let us know when you have those keys  Smiley Happy

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 7 of 365
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations Up!!! I'm sure it feels good to be almost there. Way to Go!!

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 365
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Congrats!  You and I seem to be living parallel lives here.  I have also been fearing the approval process for almost a year now.  I finally got my credit to where I thought I'd have a chance (mid score at 623), so I went for pre-approval on Feb. 9 after seeing a home I liked the day before.  I was quickly pre-approved, placed an offer, did a counter back and forth with the seller and was accepted.  I never thought I'd be in this position even as recently as 3 weeks ago and now, suddenly, I am scheduled to close on my first home March 30 due to some very timely CA deletions.  I have my fingers crossed--still waiting on final mortgage approval which is still scaring me to death despite the pre-approval (should hear back on that by next Wednesday).  Appraisal is being done today.  I can't even imagine how much fun this must be for someone with good credit who knows FOR SURE that nothing can go wrong before closing. 

I will race ya to the closing table Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 365
Anonymous
Not applicable

@valley_man0505 wrote:

Congrats!  You and I seem to be living parallel lives here.  I have also been fearing the approval process for almost a year now.  I finally got my credit to where I thought I'd have a chance (mid score at 623), so I went for pre-approval on Feb. 9 after seeing a home I liked the day before.  I was quickly pre-approved, placed an offer, did a counter back and forth with the seller and was accepted.  I never thought I'd be in this position even as recently as 3 weeks ago and now, suddenly, I am scheduled to close on my first home March 30 due to some very timely CA deletions.  I have my fingers crossed--still waiting on final mortgage approval which is still scaring me to death despite the pre-approval (should hear back on that by next Wednesday).  Appraisal is being done today.  I can't even imagine how much fun this must be for someone with good credit who knows FOR SURE that nothing can go wrong before closing. 

I will race ya to the closing table Smiley Very Happy

I bet you beat me there!  Actually this house is HUD not Bank owned. I don't know what I was thinking before when I said REO, probably because every other house I found was. There are only 2 HUD homes in the entire town I was looking in and of course leave it to me to pick 1 of the only 2!  Honestly, this home was pretty well cared for and I don't know the circumstances behind it winding up a HUD home, but I think I got pretty lucky. I know typically they are not in this good of shape. 

Already had one hurdle today. Had to overnight the signed P&S agreement to HUD by this morning. However, since I live out of state, I had to have my realtor fax it to me, then me sign and overnight to her. Her go over everything and put package together and overnight it to HUD. They got it today and because it was faxed they thought it was a copy and they want original signatures. She had to point out to them that the signature is original, it was only a fax because I live out of state and no way could we get everything to them within 48 hours of accepted offer (that's their rule, they accept offer and you have 48 hours to get them P&S) without faxing me the P&S. The guy said, okay and that he would see if 'they' would accept it. Whatever that means. 

Then I have only 15 days to get my inspections done. Normally that would be no big deal, but the house is winterized because it's in new england and it's winter it's common to do this...However, since they aren't going to pay a dime for anything. I have to pay out of pocket to dewinterize (Approx $200) for a DAY!  Have electric, gas and water service turned on for a DAY...then schedule it to be turned off the next day and also pay AGAIN out of pocket to Re-winterize the home!  I even offered to just pay to have the utilities kept on until closing and they said NO! So...scheduling all of this is going to be fieldday...trying to do it from another state and then travel up for the inspection and hope that everybody (utility companies) comes through...is going to be a stress. 

Of course, then after close I will have to pay again to dewinterize house and then turn utilities back on. Basically it's a lot of stress and about $600 or so of wasted money, BUT....in the end, if the inspection doesn't turn up any major issues, it will be WELL worth it. 

But...again...can you say stress? 

So, don't be envious of my credit scores....I'd rather be waiting to hear from the mortgage guy then dealing with this crap! LOL

Message 10 of 365
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.