Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making progress on FHA after divorce, credit challenges

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Making progress on FHA after divorce, credit challenges

@Anonymous wrote:
It’s a 6 yr old auto loan that was charged off. I disputed it originally because the dates were way off, so it was looking much newer, which they fixed. I don’t know why it keeps coming back on only one bureau as a new/active dispute.

Ok, just call that CRA and tell them you are no longer disputing anything and you want the comments of dispute removed then let it be. If this has not been settled and is still showing a balance you may have to take care of it prior to closing.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve done that twice and it comes off, but reappears as disputed on TU only about a week later.
Message 12 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve done that twice and it comes off, but reappears as disputed on TU only about a week later.

Ok, well you can file a complaint with the FTC or the CFPB if the creditor is big enough (10B in assets). A joint complaint may be in order as well.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s Wells Fargo so probably big enough. Thanks!
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big news! I got an email that my file is out of UW, and approved with conditions. I have no idea what the conditions are yet but apparently the next step is a letter that outlines them. Fingers crossed it’s nothing big!

I also found out they’re starting framing on Wednesday!
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it’s been a week since I got my conditional approval but still no conditions. Argh! I know I’m at the bottom of their list since closing is so far away but I’d feel so much better having that info. I’m going to check in on Tuesday to ask for those so I can relax.

In other news, they started framing and the basement is mostly framed plus I got to pick my cabinets and finishes today. So exciting!! They pushed out closing by a MONTH due to construction progress so the new date is 11/29. Total bummer but financially will work better since my lease is up 1/31... now I have one less month of overlap. And we’ll be settled by Christmas!

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no conditions and I'm getting a little frustrated by the lack of responsiveness by the processor. My file was given to her when it received conditional approval and she's never replied to any emails, whether by the LO or me. I pinged them to check in the day before yesterday and the LO replied first thing the next day asking the processor if she could commit to having the conditions to me by the end of next week... and she didn't even reply to her!

I know that my closing date puts me at the back of the line, but it does seem a little ridiculous that she hasn't replied to emails at all. Not even once. Everyone else at the lender is SUPER responsive so this is surprising.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I finally heard back from the processor with the conditions. All of them were pretty basic, a few random letters, docs I've already provided, etc. EXCEPT for one big one: they want me to provide payoff statements for two collections and one charge-off that are good through my estimated date of closing.

One collection is small and about 2 years old, and I'll just pay it. Whatever. The charge-off is going to fall off my report next month so I am hoping I won't have to do anything about it but it's $300 so worst case, I pay it. Annoying since I NEVER had an account with this company and have spent years trying to get this removed, but I'm not going to wreck a mortgage over $300.

But the major issue is the last collection. It's 6+ years old, outside the SOL in my state, and will fall off my reports in March. It's also 16k. It was a 3k debt from an old landlord that inflated to 9k magically when they sent it to collection, and has risen to 16k from interest and fees in the years since. I'm categorically not going to pay 16k to make this mortgage happen when if I waited a few months, I could get a mortgage without paying a dang dime of that 16k. They've never taken any collection action whatsoever and now it's too late... it's just a matter of waiting for it to fall off.

I don't know for sure whether I HAVE to pay it off to close but requiring payoff statements sure implies that. I've had this one collection as the top of mind issue all along (other than DTI from student loans), and I am very frustrated to have it pop up as a condition now. I technically could pay it but that begins to seem pretty absurd, especially when my local market went from hot to stalled out over the last year. Odds are this builder will STILL have homes to buy in March when that debt is off my reports. The only problem would be that I have to either renew my lease 1/31 or move into temp housing. 

Argh. So frustrated by this. This is why I wanted to see the conditions!!

Message 18 of 20
JVille
Valued Contributor

Approved with conditions in May 20 but you didn’t find out about what the conditions were until June 6th????? OMG
You need a new lender and frankly need legal advice. Contacting that CA when you are beyond your states SOL could possibly reset the clock. Don’t do it! Because the debt it now past the SOL can you get it off your CR????
I’m so so sorry, but a lender who keeps that info for over 2 weeks is incompetent. Speak with her Supervisor.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven’t updated in awhile.

I negotiated a settlement and PFD on the big old collection and it’s already off my CR.

I also paid the last small collection and hope that comes off too but I’ve read that this agency can be iffy on actually taking them off. They were reporting monthly though so no harm in paying now so I went ahead.

I’ll pay the small old chargeoff at closing if required since that hasn’t been updated since 2012 so paying it now would reactivate it. But I don’t really get why a $300 chargeoff from a cable company from 2012 would have to be paid off for FHA. Very weird.

I basically just send them updated docs every 1-2 weeks or respond to some request (this week it was a call with CoreLogic and my student loan company to verify my most recent loan terms). So it seems like we’re just moving slowly along.

With an 11/29 close, it’s starting to feel like endless anxiety!
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.