Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid Score Question

tag
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

Mid Score Question

Hi y’all. So I’m curious since lenders use an applicants mid score to determine credit worthiness for a mortgage loan, do lenders look at all three credit reports with a fine tooth comb? Or do they run a credit check, see which report has the mid score, and then take a closer look at said report? My eq has two negatives that my other two reports do not. One of those negatives is scheduled to fall off in 2022 the other i am hoping to get lucky on some goodwill. I am in no rush in home buying as Im living with family and paying minimal in rent. Thanks in advanced for all helpfulness.
8 REPLIES 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Mid Score Question

Not sure if they 'Fine Comb it' but I know my person pulled all three and literally went with the middle....If it is a certain score they may look through the middle score to see why it is what it is but when he told me this is what he pulled I told him that is EXACTLY what I saw on my Mortgage Score (the middle) Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

I don't know if all banks use a fine tooth comb... our loan officer gave us suggestions of what we could do that might raise the score on the other reports, possibly raising our middle score. We opted not to use suggestions because the forecast didn't show enough gain to change the interest rate of the loan.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 9
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

I think they look at the data on all three reports. I had to write of letter of explanation about an address I never lived at and a mis-spelling of my name. The two items were off two different bureaus. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 4 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@jzamarripa3220 wrote:
Hi y’all. So I’m curious since lenders use an applicants mid score to determine credit worthiness for a mortgage loan, do lenders look at all three credit reports with a fine tooth comb? Or do they run a credit check, see which report has the mid score, and then take a closer look at said report? My eq has two negatives that my other two reports do not. One of those negatives is scheduled to fall off in 2022 the other i am hoping to get lucky on some goodwill. I am in no rush in home buying as Im living with family and paying minimal in rent. Thanks in advanced for all helpfulness.

Hi jzamarripa3220,

Good question.

The best way to explain it is this. Your credit score gets your foot in the door but what's "on" your credit report will determine whether or not you qualify.

In other words, you could meet the minimum credit score requirement & not be eligible for a mortgage due to what's in your credit history.

All 3 credit bureaus will be reviewed.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 5 of 9
OkieFans2011

Are they looking at what has gone on with your credit more than 12 months ago? 

Message 6 of 9
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I pulled my equifax mortgage score from this website to see where i stand and it’s at 757 😃. I wonder if my negative trade lines are miscategorized.
Message 7 of 9
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

@okiefan
Creditors are looking at your entire credit history. Negative trade lines will report for up to seven years and positive trade lines will report for ten years. I don’t remember if it’s the same for bankruptcies. That’s one of the reasons why i asked if all the reports would come into question or just one.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They look at everything on all three reports. Heck, I had an old charge off only reporting on one bureau, it fell off a couple of months ago, and they STILL say I may have to pay it because it was on the first report they pulled (naturally fell off after 7 years now).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.