Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Middle Credit Score Change During Underwriting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Middle Credit Score Change During Underwriting

I am freaking out!  I started the mortgage process about a month ago, first time home buyer at 33.  I used a local broker that has access to many lenders that work with people with challenged credit history.  I have worked hard and managed to bring my credit score up by 150 pts in 2 months (2months ago it was mid 400s).  When I first decided to try for a mortgage I was interested in the FHA loans because they had the smallest down payment option with 3.5% down, and could qualify with the lowest score of 580.  My median score at that time was 572.  Since then I increased my score, and managed to get my median score up to 620 which is exactly the minimum for qualifying for USDA 100% financing.  My broker was confident that he could get me approved for a mortgage with my credit history and that score.  I sent in all documents to him to look over and he verified everything and I got preapproved.  Fast forward a month, and I am now under contract for a house I chose, have locked in my rate, have gotten all initial disclosures, and since this morning the appraisal was completed, and title work been ordered.  We havent gotten the results of the appraisal yet, but should by Monday.  Meanwhile, my middle credit score just dropped 17pts!!!!  I am now down to 603! I am not exaggerating at all when I say I have done my homework, I have researched and read and read and read until I cant read anymore.  There is NOTHING that has changed in my credit history at all since they pulled my credit exactly 30 days ago today, and no new inquiries either.  --Before beginning the mortgage search, I opened two new credit cards because after extensive research and consulting with a financial advisor I was told it could bring my score up drastacially since I never had a credit card before, and only have a car loan in my name.  It worked, and I was able to increase my score a ton in such a little amount of time by doing this.  However, I only qualified for $300 limits on both un-secured cards.  One of the cards is not the best (Credit One), has a higher interest rate and came with a hefty $75 annual fee that got charged right out of the gate as soon as I received the card.  That hit my credit report and my score increased.  I didnt and dont plan on using these cards as they were only a tool to improve my score.  The only change in my credit report since the mortgage company pulled it is that I have paid that $75 annual fee off in one single payment so now my balances are $0.  I havent used them at all.  I cant see how paying that off dropped my score 17 pts.  My question is, during the USDA morgage process (and I am located in Virginia) will they pull my score again before closing and see that it has dropped 17pts and deny my loan, even though nothing else has changed?  I thought this would be a positive change but apparently I was very wrong.  On the same day, which was yesterday, that the one credit card company reported my balance going from $75 to $0, they also automatically, without me asking or signing up for it, increased my credit line from $300 to $450 and that hasnt been reported yet.  Will this hurt me too once that gets reported?  And will my mortgage now fall through because my score dropped that much just from paying off an annual fee that I had no control over?  My utilization is now sitting at 0% and my total available credit is now $750 between the two cards. I would consult my broker but i can NEVER EVER get ahold of him since my file got sent to underwriting with the actual lender.  If it falls through now, I will be so upset and humiliated, as everyone is anticipating on me getting this house including my two children. Sorry this is so long, I just dont know who else to ask... ANY ADVICE WILL HELP!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Middle Credit Score Change During Underwriting

You need to charge something on one card. Get them to report it. 

Check out AZEO, here or google it. Zero balance on all cards will drop your score, usually 16-17 points. Charge something, get them to report it, it should bring your score  back up.

Duplicate post. Mods will remove either this or the other. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to charge something on one card. Get them to report it. 

Check out AZEO, here or google it. Zero balance on all cards will drop your score, usually 16-17 points. Charge something, get them to report it, it should bring your score  back up.

Duplicate post. Mods will remove either this or the other. 

Agree! My scores drop about that amount when I zero report balances!!!

Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am freaking out!  I started the mortgage process about a month ago, first time home buyer at 33.  I used a local broker that has access to many lenders that work with people with challenged credit history.  I have worked hard and managed to bring my credit score up by 150 pts in 2 months (2months ago it was mid 400s).  When I first decided to try for a mortgage I was interested in the FHA loans because they had the smallest down payment option with 3.5% down, and could qualify with the lowest score of 580.  My median score at that time was 572.  Since then I increased my score, and managed to get my median score up to 620 which is exactly the minimum for qualifying for USDA 100% financing.  My broker was confident that he could get me approved for a mortgage with my credit history and that score.  I sent in all documents to him to look over and he verified everything and I got preapproved.  Fast forward a month, and I am now under contract for a house I chose, have locked in my rate, have gotten all initial disclosures, and since this morning the appraisal was completed, and title work been ordered.  We havent gotten the results of the appraisal yet, but should by Monday.  Meanwhile, my middle credit score just dropped 17pts!!!!  I am now down to 603! I am not exaggerating at all when I say I have done my homework, I have researched and read and read and read until I cant read anymore.  There is NOTHING that has changed in my credit history at all since they pulled my credit exactly 30 days ago today, and no new inquiries either.  --Before beginning the mortgage search, I opened two new credit cards because after extensive research and consulting with a financial advisor I was told it could bring my score up drastacially since I never had a credit card before, and only have a car loan in my name.  It worked, and I was able to increase my score a ton in such a little amount of time by doing this.  However, I only qualified for $300 limits on both un-secured cards.  One of the cards is not the best (Credit One), has a higher interest rate and came with a hefty $75 annual fee that got charged right out of the gate as soon as I received the card.  That hit my credit report and my score increased.  I didnt and dont plan on using these cards as they were only a tool to improve my score.  The only change in my credit report since the mortgage company pulled it is that I have paid that $75 annual fee off in one single payment so now my balances are $0.  I havent used them at all.  I cant see how paying that off dropped my score 17 pts.  My question is, during the USDA morgage process (and I am located in Virginia) will they pull my score again before closing and see that it has dropped 17pts and deny my loan, even though nothing else has changed?  I thought this would be a positive change but apparently I was very wrong.  On the same day, which was yesterday, that the one credit card company reported my balance going from $75 to $0, they also automatically, without me asking or signing up for it, increased my credit line from $300 to $450 and that hasnt been reported yet.  Will this hurt me too once that gets reported?  And will my mortgage now fall through because my score dropped that much just from paying off an annual fee that I had no control over?  My utilization is now sitting at 0% and my total available credit is now $750 between the two cards. I would consult my broker but i can NEVER EVER get ahold of him since my file got sent to underwriting with the actual lender.  If it falls through now, I will be so upset and humiliated, as everyone is anticipating on me getting this house including my two children. Sorry this is so long, I just dont know who else to ask... ANY ADVICE WILL HELP!

I would suggest that

(a) you not post duplicate posts

(b) you write with paragraphs rather than stream of consciousness

(c) you avoid drama and stick to (1) the facts and (2) your questions

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st. I didn’t realize I posted twice. My internet connection dropped when I first typed it and I didn’t think it went through so I apologize.

2nd. I am not trying to relay drama. I am just worried about underwriting since the score drop.

3rd. I am new to this forum and home buying and from what I’ve read on here a lot of times people answering ask for more info so I wanted to give the whole story.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
1st. I didn’t realize I posted twice. My internet connection dropped when I first typed it and I didn’t think it went through so I apologize.

2nd. I am not trying to relay drama. I am just worried about underwriting since the score drop.

3rd. I am new to this forum and home buying and from what I’ve read on here a lot of times people answering ask for more info so I wanted to give the whole story.

Yes, a long post for sure, and paragraphing would have made it an easier read. Smiley Happy You explained your dilemna well, and the drop in your score right before closing is certainly alarming. 

Follow the recommendations of the other posters. They're right. SJ is usually very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck to you -  I'll be looking for your "New Home purchase" under Mortgages. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advice!

And just a quick update...I called the actual lender to ask generic questions about score dropping while in underwriting.

Was told that right before closing they do a score refresh, they don’t look at a new score, they just look for any newly acquired debt, missed payments etc. and told me my initial score would be used and is good for 90 days.

I think I’m ok. I just charged $5 on my other card that reports in 5 days. Hopefully I will gain some points back with that.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you all for the advice!

And just a quick update...I called the actual lender to ask generic questions about score dropping while in underwriting.

Was told that right before closing they do a score refresh, they don’t look at a new score, they just look for any newly acquired debt, missed payments etc. and told me my initial score would be used and is good for 90 days.

I think I’m ok. I just charged $5 on my other card that reports in 5 days. Hopefully I will gain some points back with that.

That's certainly good news to hear! Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The new credit cards once they report will lower your score.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 10
uga03
Established Member

Hope it works out for you! From my own experience paying both of my cards down to a zero balance increased my score so be very careful with this advice.

1. Do not charge on your card while in the loan process as this will certainly cause your score to fluctuate but at this point it’s all about ratios.

2. With rather low credit limits your debt to credit ratio is very sensitive so I’d recommend zero balances.

3. New accounts will temporarily drop your score so it will correct itself but never open any new accounts or incur new debt (charging to your cards) while in the loan process.

4. Trying to correct your score should be done before you begin the loan process, doing so during is the best way to have your loan go south.

Hope it works out for you...good luck!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.