Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum # of bedrooms with FHA loan?

tag
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Minimum # of bedrooms with FHA loan?

Hi there.  We're still in the early stages of thinking about future mortgage options, and I was just curious (and can't seem to find the info myself), does FHA require a minimum number of bedrooms and an inspection to approve a home purchase?  I know USDA does this.  But what my husband and I really want to do is have a homestead, so we are playing with the idea of buying a really "crappy" house - maybe even a tiny hunting cabin - that also happens to be on a lot of land (this is theoretical right now), and then either doing work on it ourselves or building on.  So for us getting as much land as possible is key, and the house is secondary.  My husband is an electrician and has done custom homebuilding and has plumbed bathrooms himself, so we're confident we can do it (we've even lived in situations with outhouses and the like, so even that's not a prob).  We do have 3 small boys and an older daughter (who will be over 18 by the time we buy), so we didn't know if FHA would work for this plan if they require a minimum number of bedrooms.  Anyone know about this?  How many bedrooms do they require for children?  Thanks for any info!   

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Minimum # of bedrooms with FHA loan?

Definitely they don't count bedrooms.  But they do count safety.  The appraiser comes along (inspector not required) - and if he sees something glaring that will need to be fixed (broken windows, etc) - at least that is my understanding.  I thought an inspector had to say OK to FHA, also - but I learned recently that's not the case w/ FHA.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.