Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missed Mortgage Payment????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Missed Mortgage Payment????

I got a letter in the mail this morning, saying that I missed a payment on my mortgage, and it would go into default if it wasn't paid for within 18 days. I have never missed a payment on anything. Before every month when I pay the bills, I make sure that there is more than enough money to pay the bills, and there always is. I have record that i made the payment, And actually, my monthly payment is $1801, and I made a $2000 payment, as I do every month, so I can pay it off faster. I cantacted the bank, and they said that they have no recepit of the payment ever being made, and that there was an addidional $200 late fee for there not being a payment. What should I do? I know I made the payment, and I'm not going to make another one. Any help?? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Missed Mortgage Payment????

Deep breathe...exhale slowly.

1.  Do you have a confirmation number?   When I make an online payment, there is a confirmation number.

2.  Has the money left your bank account?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the money has left my account. I have automatic payments set up through my accountant. I contacted him, and he said that the payment was made. 

Message 3 of 12
PixieQueen80
Frequent Contributor

I am thinking this will be easy to fix...in my mind any how.  Provide the cancelled check or account history to verify payment and then the bank has to fix THEIR error and remove the fee.  Sending good luck vibes your way.

Starting Scores (7/26/2010): EQ 517; TU 508; EX 527 (lender)
Scores Along the Way (11/4/2010): EQ 542; TU 547; (11/8/2010) EX Plus 641
Scores Along the Way: (4/15/2011): EQ 516; TU 622; EX 585 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (8/25/2011): EQ 617; TU 627; EX 625 (lender)
Scores Along the Way: (11/28/2011): EQ 617; TU 645; EX 667 (lender)
Current Scores: (8/9/2013): EQ 634; TU 662; EX 694 (lender)
Closed on a Home: 12/30/2011 Goal Scores (8/25/2014): 700 club
Message 4 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

My next move would be to contact the bank (your bank) and ask them to trace the payment.

While they are busy with that...contact Green Tree and ask them to courtesy remove the late fee AND ask them if any payments have come through that were not credited to a specific account.   When they can't match an account number, they put it into a "general" account until someone claims it or they can figure it out.

If you can afford it, make another payment.

How does your accountant pay the bill?  Bill payer service?  Paper checks mailed?  Online payments?

Message 5 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a letter in the mail this morning, saying that I missed a payment on my mortgage, and it would go into default if it wasn't paid for within 18 days. I have never missed a payment on anything. Before every month when I pay the bills, I make sure that there is more than enough money to pay the bills, and there always is. I have record that i made the payment, And actually, my monthly payment is $1801, and I made a $2000 payment, as I do every month, so I can pay it off faster. I cantacted the bank, and they said that they have no recepit of the payment ever being made, and that there was an addidional $200 late fee for there not being a payment. What should I do? I know I made the payment, and I'm not going to make another one. Any help?? 

You don't go into default over one missed payment. In fact if it's not more than 31 days late it won't even show on your reports. At worst the only consequence will be a late payment fee.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The woman on the phone said that it would go into default, which really worried me. I went to the bank earlier, and I made another payment on the mortgage, and when I got my receipt it showed that I had a negative balance of $2,199, which would be my second payment, and the extra $199 from the remainder of my first payment. So the payment clearly went through, and it was possibly a miscommunication? 

Message 7 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The woman on the phone said that it would go into default, which really worried me. I went to the bank earlier, and I made another payment on the mortgage, and when I got my receipt it showed that I had a negative balance of $2,199, which would be my second payment, and the extra $199 from the remainder of my first payment. So the payment clearly went through, and it was possibly a miscommunication? 

Either you were lied to or the rep is completely incompetent.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 12
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Offer to do automatic withdrawal every month in exchange for delete of the late.  Also talk to a manager since that rep is lying to you.  Tell the manager what she said to you.  She was just trying to scare you.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, your lender is correct. Once your mortgage is 45 days late, they have to send you a pre-foreclosure letter. I would make the payment and contact your bank directly. I woud not rely on the "word" of your accountant. Since the payment is late, it is already being reported to the credit bureaus. Moreover, once you're late on your mortgage payment, you have defaulted. You are provided a limited amount of time to cure the default, which is at your lenders discretion. However, once you are late on your mortgage, whether 30 days or 120 days, your lender can begin foreclosure preceedings. Typically, most lenders will not begin preceedings until you're 90 days late. However, if you do not cure the default within the time frame the lender provides, they can begin foreclosure preceedings. Lastly, I find it very odd that your lender did not contact you requesting payment throughout the month or mail/e-mail you a statement showing the payment had not been made. Moreover, I do not know why your paying an accountant to pay your mortgage when your bank/mortgage company is more than happy to do it for you for free, just set up automatic payments.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.