Did you mean: 

Mortgage...Apply now or later??

tag
Foodie2018
Contributor

Mortgage...Apply now or later??

Hello,

Scenerio:

So my husband and are looking to buy a house next year, next Spring to be exact. Anyway, my cs is at a 667 and my husband is in the high 580. I have a realtor who advised me to apply with her lender now, so that she can tell us what all we need to work on between now and next year. Due to our scores, we were hoping to get an FHA, but I'm optimistic that we can make great strides credit wise in a year (which was my plan all a long). Its just that I always envisioned cleaning up my credit and bringing it to the mid 700s BEFORE we applied, but the realtor is saying we need try now.

I'm so confused on how this process works, and I don't want to be overzealous. This is my first time even attempting to try for a loan.

Question:

Won't applying now, drag our already struggling scores down?

What comes first the realtor or the lender? Or both?

I'd appreciate some honest, real deal, straight up, raw no chaser feedback!

Thanks

BK -7/22 FICO -601
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage...Apply now or later??

Do you know why your scores are where they are currently? What credit negatives do you have?
Typically 1 inquiry from a mortgage application won't hurt your score too bad, but you can probably find out what you 'need to work on' by taking a good look at your credit report and asking questions/researching on this forum.

Message 2 of 3
H-B
Regular Contributor

Re: Mortgage...Apply now or later??

You have time to work on your loan scenario to get better interest rate.  First work with lender who has less overlays on lower FICO. There are so many lenders who offer FHA but few lenders  have less overlays. Ask them to work on your credit.  Follow the directions and keep looking for properties if something comes in your way which you like it. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.