Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Approval amount w/ out hard pull

tag
iamkeithj
Valued Member

Mortgage Approval amount w/ out hard pull

Tried running some calculators but getting different totals on each one so wanted to come across this forum for more insight.

Income: 80k 

Debt: 0

Current Mortgage Payment: 1700/month

Scores: 710 720 700

Is mortgage payment included in DTI? 
Any insight on the amount I will get approved for without pulling hard inquiry?

I have about 50k-60k in savings for down payment and looking for around 400k-450k for new mortgage.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Approval amount w/ out hard pull

Hi @iamkeithj Good Luck with your Mortgage Approval 

Message 2 of 7
iamkeithj
Valued Member

Hi @Red1Blue - any idea up to what amount I would be approved for with the data above? Looking for 400k-450k

Message 3 of 7
jmw1
Frequent Contributor

@iamkeithj wrote:

Tried running some calculators but getting different totals on each one so wanted to come across this forum for more insight.

Income: 80k 

Debt: 0

Current Mortgage Payment: 1700/month

Scores: 710 720 700

Is mortgage payment included in DTI? 
Any insight on the amount I will get approved for without pulling hard inquiry?

I have about 50k-60k in savings for down payment and looking for around 400k-450k for new mortgage.

Practically no mortgage lender will give you a true preapproval listing agents will take seriously without a hard inquiry and submission of some basic documentation like paystubs. The credit report in a soft pull does not have enough details to give you a preapproval. Do all of your mortgage shopping within 45 days (or better yet 15 days) to minimize the impact of all mortgage hard inquiries to count as just one single hard pull. You can use better.com to get a mortgage score with a soft pull, but I don't think that can be used to get a true preapproval either. It's better for the loan officer to have all of your information rather than to give an estimated approval amount based upon limited information from a soft pull and self-reported income figures.

DTI includes the mortgage payment (principal and interest) plus taxes, insurance, PMI, and HOA.

Message 4 of 7
iamkeithj
Valued Member

@jmw1 thank you, good info

Message 5 of 7
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

I just closed on a house on 11/30. I was preapproved for up to 650k (all I asked for) with income of 110k and a median score (at the time) of 752. I would think you could get at least 400k on 80k, but as noted they are going to have to pull your credit for a legitimate preapproval. 

Message 6 of 7
iamkeithj
Valued Member

Thank you @SouthernCredit for sharing the advice, good insight into what I could be looking forward to, thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.