Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Loan Insurance - Not what you think

tag
runawaytrain
Established Member

Mortgage Loan Insurance - Not what you think

I'm not referring to the mortgage loan insurance required when you put down less than 20%

I was wondering if anyone has any information on mortgage insurance that allows a spouse to keep a house if the other spouse dies?

We are planning to get a mortgage and I have stepped away from my career where I made much more money to work with children. My husband is still in his career making great money. If he passes away I will not be able to afford the house payment. We are worried about this and was wondering, besides life insurance, is there anything we can do to make sure that I am covered?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage Loan Insurance - Not what you think

My wife worked at a company or a short time that sold those types of mortgage insurance policies.  The premiums are usually fairly high on those, I'd recommend you also look into a term life insurance policy as well... then you'd still get the same payout but then can choose to use it to pay off the mortgage or for other things, plus the premiums are almost always cheaper.  What happens if you end up selling your current home before your spouse passes and the mortgage insurance no longer covers anything (and think of all of those premiums you've paid)?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
runawaytrain
Established Member

That is true! I didn't think of that.

I need to find a place to research life insurance policies before we go through with this mortgage. 

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's tough to research all of the insurance policy options you'd have, I'd recommend you seek out a larger company such as New York Life or MassMutual to start the conversations up.  I've found life insurance agents usually are very patient and love explaining things.  Worst case is you get a free blood test out of it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.