Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Options after BK7

tag
paul
Established Member

Mortgage Options after BK7

My credit score is around 690, went through Chapter 7 18 months back. The wife's credit is clean, she is in the upper 700's. Our household income is around 90K. I researched a few options but not sure if I am sure we want to buy a home now.

# USDA loan?

# FHA loan with the conselling course?

We can put down 20% but would not qualify for a conventional loan because of the 4 year wait period.

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: 708
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mortgage Options after BK7

If you can document "extenuating circumstances" the required waiting period is reduced to 2 years for Fannie Mae conforming loans (Fannie Mae Selling Guide, p.511-513).

Since you have a 20% down payment, a 640 suffices and no reserves are required (Fannie Mae Eligibility Matrix, p.4).

"Extenuating circumstances are nonrecurring events that are beyond the borrower’s control that result in a sudden, significant, and prolonged reduction in income or a catastrophic increase in financial obligations."  To prove extenuating circumstances, you must provide "documentation

• such as a copy of a divorce decree, medical reports or bills, notice of job layoff, job severance papers, etc.; and

• documents that illustrate factors that contributed to the borrower’s inability to resolve the problems that resulted from the event

• such as a copy of insurance papers or claim settlements, property listing agreements, lease agreements, tax returns (covering the periods prior to, during, and after a loss of employment), etc.

The lender must obtain a written explanation from the borrower explaining the relevance of the documentation. The written explanation must support the claims of extenuating circumstances, confirm the nature of the event that led to the bankruptcy or foreclosure-related action, and illustrate that the borrower had no reasonable options other than to default on his or her financial obligations. The written explanation may be in the form of a letter from the borrower, an email from the borrower, or some other form of written documentation provided by the borrower."

So it is possible to get a conventional loan after 24 months, but finding a motivated loan officer and a lender without their own overlays is whole different story.  Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Mortgage Options after BK7

With a 20% down payment and scores like that, you should be able to secure a mortgage with a local portfolio lender ... bank or credit union. I have buyer customers who have been offered financing with similar circumstances ... but they just cannot secure the 20% downpayment.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.