Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Refi

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Refi

Years ago, when I didn't know as much as I know know, I got caught up in a mortgage refi w/ a 3 yr. arm. Thinking that everything would be OK and I'd refi to a fixed rate w/ no problems, I signed my name on the dotted line. Years latter, here I still am with that same ARM, but in a,quandry. Because my interest rate is so high (11.25%) I'm paying through the roof each month,but managing to not show up late. My problem is this, I want to do another refi., but I have very, very little equity in my home. As a result, It's been hard for me to get a refi. I had an appraisal last year, and my home appraised at $143K. I had one done just a week ago and the appraisal came in $60K less than last year. This is the same house with no added anything that got appraised last year. How does a house come in $60K less in one year? My home is in Michigan, but still $60K less. That doesn't make sense. All I want to do is lower my interest rate. No one seems to be able to help me. Please help. I need some sound advise. I don't want to lose my home. I just want a monthly payment that I can live with.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage Refi

I am no mortgage expert, but $60k seems a bit excessive. Have you had anyone else appraise the home?
Message 2 of 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Angel wrote:

My home is in Michigan, but still $60K less.

There is your answer.  One of the states hit hardest by the current housing market problems - economic mess, some of the highest delinquincy and foreclosure rates in the nation (along with Ohio)
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 60k drop is a lot - either your last year appraisal was overinflated, or this one was underinflated - the market is soft in Michigan, but that still seems a lot.

How much do you actually owe?  An FHA loan on a rate/term refi can go 97.75% of appraised value in the 7%ish range.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup!!! Michigan is dropping like crazy!!!!!!  If you have a ARM that is adjusting and no chance of doing a refi... You need to look at you loan and see what the cap on the rate is. I've had a few subprime  borrowers that were better off keeping the bad loan that they had. So take a look at that before you refi. If your a prime borrower you still have lots of options. Good luck!

MidnightVoice wrote:

Angel wrote:

My home is in Michigan, but still $60K less.

There is your answer.  One of the states hit hardest by the current housing market problems - economic mess, some of the highest delinquincy and foreclosure rates in the nation (along with Ohio)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.