Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Refinance in Tennessee without spouse signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Refinance in Tennessee without spouse signature

I want to refinance my mortgage for home in Tennessee. My wife name is not in deed nor she signed any documents during house purchase. Now she is not available in US and we have a new born, so she cant travel anywhere for sometime. I spoke to couple of lenders, they mentioned that without spouse signature they cant do the refinance. So wanted to check if any lenders do refi without spouse signature for property in TN. Is it mandatory to have spouse signature for refianancing ? All I am trying to do is to reduce my rate.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Mortgage Refinance in Tennessee without spouse signature

Is this a FHA loan?  Maybe the lender needs her to sign to consent that she's not a borrower ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its not FHA loan.

Message 3 of 7
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to refinance my mortgage for home in Tennessee. My wife name is not in deed nor she signed any documents during house purchase. Now she is not available in US and we have a new born, so she cant travel anywhere for sometime. I spoke to couple of lenders, they mentioned that without spouse signature they cant do the refinance. So wanted to check if any lenders do refi without spouse signature for property in TN. Is it mandatory to have spouse signature for refianancing ? All I am trying to do is to reduce my rate.

Based on my research, your spouse will have to sign if the house is also her primary residence.

Since she is out of the country, you would liklely need a power of attorney so you can sign for her.

https://lehmantn.com/lawyer/Nashville-TN_fq329.htm

Q: I’m married, does my spouse need to come to closing?

Your spouse will need to be present if your spouse is on the deed for the subject property.

If your spouse does not hold title but resides in the subject property, your spouse must come to closing.

Your spouse will need to be present if your spouse is a co-borrower on the new loan.

If your spouse does not hold title and does not reside in the property (i.e. investment property), your spouse may not be required for closing. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 7
Howaboutthat
Frequent Contributor

I just went through a cash out refinance and am not an expert in anyway way but I think you may be able to

Have her sign a spousal waiver, they can do it through the net. I used Rocket Mortgage and everything was done online. I signed everything online except for the closing they had one of their agents come to my home and we signed a couple documents. 

I was thinking about a spousal waiver but decided against it (it's complicated) they said it may hold up the closing but that's your call. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I will check about that.

@Howaboutthat wrote:

I just went through a cash out refinance and am not an expert in anyway way but I think you may be able to

Have her sign a spousal waiver, they can do it through the net. I used Rocket Mortgage and everything was done online. I signed everything online except for the closing they had one of their agents come to my home and we signed a couple documents. 

I was thinking about a spousal waiver but decided against it (it's complicated) they said it may hold up the closing but that's your call. 

Message 6 of 7
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Do (or can) any of the lenders you've contacted use eSign or similar for electronic signing of mortgage documents rather than wet signatures? I tried searching a bit and can't find whether Tennessee specifically limits this.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.