cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Refinanced - Incredibly low rate & closing costs!

tag
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Mortgage Refinanced - Incredibly low rate & closing costs!

This is a follow-up on my other thread asking if I should refinance. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Should-I-refinance-my-mortgage/m-p/6365711/highlight... 

I did some research and decided to seek offers from Better, Reali, Rocket Mortgage and GuaranteedRate. Better and Reali were pretty close, both offering 2.625% without points or credits but with different closing costs. Rocket and Guaranteed didn't even come close and Rocket didn't even reach out to compare. I bounced the offers from Better and Reali off of each other. Better offered to beat Reali's closing costs by $100, lowering the costs from $1,577 to $1,477. I shot that back over to Reali and they offered an additional $400 making the closing costs barely $1K on a $453K loan. I did that one more time and Reali got me all the way down to under $700 lender-controlled costs total. That's like 10% of 1% of the refinance amount and I'll be lowering my payment by ~$700 a month, I'm getting rid of the PMI too, so I'll recoup the cost in basically a month!!! I'm so excited this went so well!!! 

Long story short: Always, always, ALWAYS!!! shop around and send the actual Loan Estimate you get from a lender to the other lenders. This shows you're serious and that they have to work for your money!

AU

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Mortgage Refinanced - Incredibly low rate & closing costs!

Congrats!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats!! And great job rate shopping to get the best deal for yourself !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 15
WenW
New Contributor

Wow! this is amazing! CONGRATS!

Message 4 of 15
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Ok, now my stomach hurts as the two lenders won't stop making offers. Will update when this is all over.

AU

Message 5 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@SEAlifer wrote:

Ok, now my stomach hurts as the two lenders won't stop making offers. Will update when this is all over.

Sounds like a good problem to have, hope you can wring out some additional concessions  Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 15
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Ok, seems like this is over now. I tried to tell Better Mortgage I was going with Reali who had knocked their costs all the way down to around $500 which was less than what I'd be saving in one month with the new P&I as well as getting rid of my mortgage insurance. Better replied and offered to PAY ME $290 to do my refi through them, so I guess they're really trying to earn that name. They have really good reviews online as well. Reali countered with paying me $245 to do it but since it's a bloodless financial decision I had to go with Better Mortgage. I saw I'm already conditionally approved and did some paperwork this weekend that they needed but I think I'm good to go. I'll be lowering my payment by ~$700 a month for less than nothing. Can't be beat.

AU

Message 7 of 15
CreditFun
Regular Contributor

Add up your fees in BOX A and B and scrutinize C (either use their preferred title partner or shop), the rest is out of lenders control. 

I hope your Refi goes well. Rocket and better have some of the worst ratings out there and are known to have extended Refis. 

starting 8/1 the FHFA adverse fee is gone, so I'd expect better pricing for that loan size next week. 

call a broker. They can shop 20+ lenders in 1 or phone call. 

Message 8 of 15
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@CreditFun wrote:

Add up your fees in BOX A and B and scrutinize C (either use their preferred title partner or shop), the rest is out of lenders control. 

I hope your Refi goes well. Rocket and better have some of the worst ratings out there and are known to have extended Refis. 

starting 8/1 the FHFA adverse fee is gone, so I'd expect better pricing for that loan size next week. 

call a broker. They can shop 20+ lenders in 1 or phone call. 

Yep, I understand the loan estimate and how it works. I can find no evidence at all of Better Mortgage having "the worst ratings out there." In fact, quite the opposite. 

I'm lowering my interest rate by 1%, getting rid of my PMI and they're paying me $290 to do it. On top of that, I have up until 3 days after I close to rescind the mortgage as per the CFPB and the Right of Recission. So if I did find a better rate, I can't do better than getting this for less than nothing, I will.

AU

Message 9 of 15
CreditFun
Regular Contributor

Read the google reviews.

Also, to get an idea of leadership. Just google "dumb dolphins better.com"

There are better companies out there. 

Find a local broker for better service and better rate. Close quicker start saving sooner. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.