Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage + Student Loan

tag
llexx
Established Member

Mortgage + Student Loan

My goals for the coming year include purchasing a home and returning to school and I am wondering if both are possible. Here are the details.

Marital Status: Single

Scores: 670 and 653

Gross Income: $39,000

Savings: $1200 and slowly increasing

Employment: 3yrs same company will be starting part-time position in Jan 2013 to suppliment my income.

Price Range: 90,000 - 130,000 

I would be starting school in March and will be applying for a student loan. I plan to purchase the home towards the last third of the year. My utilization is high so I am working on paying off my cc to bring it lower. I have no negatives on my credit report (all done away with) but I don't have a long credit history.

My question is, is this doable given my income, savings, scores?  Will applying for a student loan first affect the mortgage application later in the year?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage + Student Loan

You should be ok as long as they are in deferment and you go FHA.

Message 2 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Are you planning to remain employed and go to school? Or are you going to drop down to part time work and attend school?

Message 3 of 9
llexx
Established Member

Yes, I intend to work full time during the day and the new job is three nights a week plus a weekend day.

Message 4 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@llexx wrote:

Yes, I intend to work full time during the day and the new job is three nights a week plus a weekend day.

How are you going to work this schedule and attend school full time?

Message 5 of 9
llexx
Established Member

Classes are held one night a week for 6-8 weeks per class. They still consider this full time!

Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Wow...you have a great deal more energy that I have! I think you have good goals. 

The only issue I see with buying a home is your DTI and the sales price of your proposed purchase. I don't know what your taxes and insurance will be, you will need to get that information to see if you qualify. You won't be able to use the new part time job income because it is a new job. So, bank as much as you can in savings from your existing full time job and use the money from the part time job to live off of. The underwriter won't let you use loan proceeds from school as your down payment funds so you might consider keeping those funds and refunds in a separate account so you can show that you aren't using school loan funds for your down payment or closing costs. 

You will need a min of 3.5% of your own money (or gift funds from a relative) for your down payment. You can save a substantial amount of MI by putting down 5% rather than 3.5%  As to closing costs and pre-paid expenses, you can generally negotiate some of those costs to be paid by the seller. However, the markets are tightening up right now and sellers are less inclined to contribute to your closing costs. You can get numbers from a loan officer, but you might want to figure in an additional 4% for closing on top of the 3.5%.  Is that doable for you?

Message 7 of 9
llexx
Established Member

The way I see it, this is the best time. No BF, no husband, no kids and a lot of time that I could be doing something with to improve my income. 

Thanks for info about managing the income from both jobs. That was something I didnt know about. I will do some calculations and see if things will work out the way I'd like them to.

Message 8 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the part time income cannot be used.

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.