Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage after foreclosure included in bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage after foreclosure included in bankruptcy

Im losing my mind right now. I just spoke to a loan officer and applied to preapproval. My credit is fine, but she is saying that I have to wait 7 years from the date of my foreclosure. I thought that if my foreclosure was included in my bankruptcy that the 4 year bankruptcy wait time applies? Am I wrong? She is sending my file to an underwriter to get their answer. Help!
13 REPLIES 13
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage after foreclosure included in bankruptcy

What type of loan are you applying for?

Conventional, FHA, VA, USDA?

Bankruptcy and foreclosures included in BK can be tricky when determining the wait period for mortgage loans afterwards. 

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had a chapter 7. We included our FHA loan in the bankruptcy. We obtained a USDA loan 3 years after the deed transferred from our name at the sheriffs sale.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m trying to do conventional because of high student loan debt, so FHA won’t work for me with their 1% guideline with student loans. Thanks for your input though!
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They told us the same thing. Even though the house was in the bankruptcy we stayed for 2 years and then gave it back so we are not able to go conventional only FHA or wait for the 7 years to be over.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn’t make any sense? From all that i’ve read it should be the 4 years for conventional. I’m waiting to hear what the underwriter says. So are they telling you to wait 7 years from the time the title was deeded out of your name?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conventional due to high student loans.
Message 7 of 14
picjmp

See question #5. Straight from fannie mae website.

https://www.fanniemae.com/content/faq/underwriting-faqs.pdf

Message 8 of 14
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
That doesn’t make any sense? From all that i’ve read it should be the 4 years for conventional. I’m waiting to hear what the underwriter says. So are they telling you to wait 7 years from the time the title was deeded out of your name?

For Fannie Mae, it's 4 years from the discharge date as long as you did not re-affirm the mortgage. Anyone who tells you anything different either doesn't know the guidelines or they have a more restrictive overlay.

The other consideration here is if the lender tried to go Freddie Mac due to the student loans, then 7 years is correct.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my preapproval! The loan originator sent my docs to the underwriter and confirmed that it was a go with a conventional loan.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.