Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage approval help—charged off accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage approval help—charged off accounts

This is my first post and I have already learned a bit from reading some of the other posts.  Thank you in advance for any help!

My wife and I plan on purchasing a home later this year and would like to be qualified for a mortgage by July or August.  Her credit is in the high 700's and my middle FICO 5,4,2 is 620.  It's mainly due to past late payments, a few cc that charged off and went to collections and also a personal loan that defaulted.

I've already done quite a bit of repair over the last year.  I was on payment plans with a couple of the old credit cards and finally paid them (settled for less than full).  What I have left is a closed cap 1 with $600, closed PNC with $1,850, closed Citi with $3,500 and the personal loan with Avant with about $3,400.  About a year ago these balances and from the couple I paid were roughly $30,000 and now down to about $9,300.

My plan was to open a cd secured loan through a bank, which I was told by a mortgage lender would increase my credit.  I also wanted to try and settle for less on the few cc I have remaining.

Any thoughts on this strategy?  Would a discover secured card help boost score as well?  I'm hoping that negotiating a settlement won't reopen these charged off cc and lower my score.  But I was told that having unpaid debt on a credit report might also DQ me and my wife from getting a mortgage.  Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Mortgage approval help—charged off accounts

Do you have any open accounts/tradelines currently? 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have one credit card as an authorized user on my wife's card.  I also have several students loans that show as open and the Avant personal loan that was sold and in repayment shows as open.

Message 3 of 8
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

What is your strategy for the downpayment?

It might not be wise to tie your money up into a CD.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a good amount already set aside for a down payment.  The cd is only $500 and mainly going to be used to boost my credit during the payoff period.

Message 5 of 8
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I have one credit card as an authorized user on my wife's card.  I also have several students loans that show as open and the Avant personal loan that was sold and in repayment shows as open.

Does your wife have any other cards that she could add you to?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, she has another card.  Would becoming an AU on an additional card be a boost to my credit?  Also, when applying for mortgage do they want to see that I have my own card too?  Thanks!!

Message 7 of 8
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, she has another card.  Would becoming an AU on an additional card be a boost to my credit?  Also, when applying for mortgage do they want to see that I have my own card too?  Thanks!!

As long as her card is in good standing & has low utilization, it should help your score more than you opening a new account.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.