cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage broker says not to count on FICO score

tag
Acase76

Mortgage broker says not to count on FICO score

I've told our lender my "MyFICO" scores are TU 686 and EQ 644 and obviously no idea what Experian FICO is. He continues to warn me that usually the score that they pull is lower than what we pull. I'm concerned that if what he says is correct that what is most likely the middle score (644) on here won't be high enough and we'll lose our chance at a home. Any thoughts? Is the score the lender pulls going to be lower than on here? What are your experiences?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
JWatson0405
Contributor

Re: Mortgage broker says not to cound on FICO score

@Acase76 wrote:

I've told our lender my "MyFICO" scores are TU 686 and EQ 644 and obviously no idea what Experian FICO is. He continues to warn me that usually the score that they pull is lower than what we pull. I'm concerned that if what he says is correct that what is most likely the middle score (644) on here won't be high enough and we'll lose our chance at a home. Any thoughts? Is the score the lender pulls going to be lower than on here? What are your experiences?

Obviously your experience may vary - but your lender may also be referring to what many people consider a FICO, that is actually a FAKO.  Here on myfico.com you get a true FICO score, as opposed to many other credit monitoring services that offer some variation of their scoring methods.  It's not guarantee, but typically, the score you find here should be close to any other true FICO score.

Starting Score: EQ-484(10/10/2011) TU-533(10/10/2011)
Current Score: EQ-701(1/18/2013) TU-735(1/20/2013)
Goal Score: 750s!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My TU score here is about 20 points lower then what my lender got.

Message 3 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

When I got my preapproval scores from my lender, my EQ fico matched EXACTLY, 703 & 703, and that is my middle score. Now as for the TU score on this site, it is TU08 and most lenders use TU04. My TU score pulled by my lender was 718, 16 pts HIGHER than what is provided by this site so I have to disagree with your broker.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 14
GregB
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
When I got my preapproval scores from my lender, my EQ fico matched EXACTLY, 703 & 703, and that is my middle score. Now as for the TU score on this site, it is TU08 and most lenders use TU04. My TU score pulled by my lender was 718, 16 pts HIGHER than what is provided by this site so I have to disagree with your broker.

This is pretty close to correct.

The EQ FICO on here is Beacon v5.0 and will match a normal mortgage app exactly.

The TU FICO on here is Classic 98 and the score used for a normal mortgage app is Classic 04. FICO 8, the equivalent of the Classic version but no longer called that, is the newest version and is more common on Auto & CC applications.

Message 5 of 14
jadeite788
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage broker says not to count on FICO score

@Acase76 wrote:

I pulled my FAKO from Experian and got a 596 but the lender pull was 634 from my credit union, it depends I guess.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

FAKO scores are fake. They don't mean anything. Don't waste your money.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 14
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My EQ Fako is in the low 500s, my real EQ Fico is almost 700.

Message 8 of 14
beb86
Valued Contributor

Yeah with a Mortgage loan there are many more factors than just a FICO...I.E..DTI, Salary, time at employment/field of study, reserves...etc

Message 9 of 14
nvrgiveup08
Contributor

My scores were NOT the same and I actually purchased the scores the same day I applied.

No place to go but UP

EQ 632
EX 648
TU 648
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.