cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage inquiry penalty, help!

tag
gps150

Mortgage inquiry penalty, help!

Ok, so my wife and I have been working really hard to get qualified for a mortgage. We are applying through a teacher loan program with favorable terms but requiring a minimum 680 qualifying score. We very recently managed to get her middle score above the cutoff--but without much wiggle room to work with. Her middle score is sitting at a 687. I'm worried that after we are cleared to close through underwriting, when they do their final credit checks, the mortgage inquiry itself will have dropped her below the 680 cutoff and we'll lose the loan. She has a fair amount of inquiries already, about 5-6 on each report. Is there a way to predict the amount of her score drop? Is there a higher or lower penalty for each additional inquiry beyond a certain amount (ex, a certain amount of points for going from 0 to 1 inquiries vs going from 6 to 7 inquiries)? Any input would be most welcome, and thank you for reading!

2 REPLIES 2
mike-fico
Valued Member

Re: Mortgage inquiry penalty, help!

Their final checks are not necessarily looking at the score, but looking at any new transactions, i.e new credit apps, large changes in balances, and new derogatory notes.  i.e. don't apply for or buy a new car, new appliances, or new furniture (on credit) between application and closing unless absolutely necessary (i.e. lease up on a vehicle).  If you do have to do something, contact your loan officer and explain it to them.

Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage inquiry penalty, help!

Credit scores aren't re-checked unless the credit report has expired, which is typically 120 days.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.