Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage lenders and options - NASA

tag
psm
Contributor

Mortgage lenders and options - NASA

My wife and I will be shopping for a mortgage to buy a new house in 3-12 months. We currently own a duplex we are selling and our primary house that we will sell as we move. We are probably going to go with a 10% down for the new house. Are there any lenders that I should work to get in with now?
The mortgage on our primary residence is through Quicken Loans and they have a 10% no PMI option that I talked to them about. It seems the rate might be slightly higher (we both have 800+ scores and very little non-mortgage debt). I have heard that NASA and some other credit unions have other similar plans. Would it make sense to open a savings with NASA or some other bank to have that relationship for a mortgage?
We bank at US Bank and CapitalOne 360 and US Bank did not offer as good rates vs QuickenLoans when I refinanced in 2013.
Thank you for any input you might have!

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

Re: Mortgage lenders and options - NASA

what state are you buying in? They only offer mortgages in PA, MD, DE, and VA. I live in NJ and wanted to use them for a mortgage but couldn`t.

Message 2 of 9
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

opps, D.C. not Delaware

Message 3 of 9
psm
Contributor

MN. Thought it was listed as a place they write.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. I assumed that, what with them being NASA FCU and all, they might do mortgages in, I don't know, Florida, Texas, Alabama, and California, since NASA has major installations in those states (Kennedy Space Center, Johnson Space Center, Marshall Space Flight Center, Edwards AFB).

Message 5 of 9
psm
Contributor

This is what I see here which made me thing they wrote in Minnesota:

https://www.nasafcu.com/mortgagespecial/

"***Programs only available in the following designated areas: CO, CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, ME, MN, NC, NH, OR, PA, RI, TX (new purchases only), VA, VT, WA & WV. "

Message 6 of 9
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

sorry for the bad info. I was going by a phone call I made to thier call center, sorry.

Message 7 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@psm wrote:

My wife and I will be shopping for a mortgage to buy a new house in 3-12 months. We currently own a duplex we are selling and our primary house that we will sell as we move. We are probably going to go with a 10% down for the new house. Are there any lenders that I should work to get in with now?
The mortgage on our primary residence is through Quicken Loans and they have a 10% no PMI option that I talked to them about. It seems the rate might be slightly higher translation. the loan has pmi just add to the rate instead of the payment(we both have 800+ scores and very little non-mortgage debt). I have heard that NASA and some other credit unions have other similar plans. Would it make sense to open a savings with NASA or some other bank to have that relationship for a mortgage?
We bank at US Bank and CapitalOne 360 and US Bank did not offer as good rates vs QuickenLoans when I refinanced in 2013.
Thank you for any input you might have!

Retired Lender
Message 8 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I live in So Cal and I just got an answer to an email I sent last friday about a new mortgage on my home.  They said that they do have some mortgages for "members" in Calif but did not go in to detail.  So,  I need to follow up. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.