Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage loan with Schedule-C

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage loan with Schedule-C

I can't figure out what figures on the 2018 tax forms count as my business income. I plan on applying for a loan next year after filing my taxes at which point I will have 2 years of tax returns. I understand they take the average (of what) the 2 years as the gross income for the business. I also have a w-2 job which has history but would like to use the business income as well to qualify for more house.

Please point me to the right row I need to be looking at in order to know if it even matters. I know it was a profit but not sure if it's the gross less expenses or the profit only that's used in the calculation for qualification. 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

Re: Mortgage loan with Schedule-C

If you're a sole prop then it's line 31 on Sched C, 2 year average

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MauiMan85297 wrote:

If you're a sole prop then it's line 31 on Sched C, 2 year average

Thanks for that!

Message 3 of 4
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

I concur with the previous answer with this caveat.  Lending to self-employed borrowers has become more streamline in recent years. Below is a rundown of the requirements:

1.) Conventional - Borrower to provide 2 year history of self-employment i.e. business license, DBA documents,  CPA letter. 2 years 1040's and the validation via 4506-T is no longer a hard guideline. We follow the AUS (automated underwriting system) Findings.  Meaning in most cases, the AUS will only require the most recent filed and processed 1040 and they validated via 4506-T. FYI, some lenders have overlays and will require 2 years regardless. Ask your LO upfront if they follow the AUS.

2.) FHA, VA and USDA - Borrower to provide 2 year history of self-employment i.e. business license, DBA documents,  CPA letter and 2 years 1040's and the validation via 4506-T by the IRS.

3.) NonQM - Borrower to provide 2 year history of self-employment (some programs allow only 1 year) i.e. business license, DBA documents,  CPA letter. Borrowers have multiple options i.e. 12 or 24 months bank statements (deposits used as income), full doc, asset depletion, etc.

Hope this helps! Best wishes to you.

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.