Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage loan with bad credit

tag
bobnathan0295
Valued Member

Mortgage loan with bad credit

I have a fico score of 645/680/640

I have 16 late payments including a chargeoff in 2020. I caught up with eveything in 2021.

I am planning to put 35-40% down on my home. What is my chances of getting a mortgage loan ?

I am trying to get goodwill and credit repair working on my lates and chargeoff

Does anyone have experiences in this situation ? My loan broker says that there are no issues as long as your FICO score is 640 and you are putting 40% down

I have had one mortgage loan in the past that I paid off

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage loan with bad credit

If you want to save thousands of dollars and time, it might be better to spend effort to clearn your credit profile from derogs first. How long would it take to clean your profile? Also, your mortgage score is different from Fico8 and you can get them from myfico (need payment). Myfico also will tell you approximate expected loan rate that you might get qualified. If you want to do this, I suggest to buy the myfico report service for a few months and montior your mortgage scores while cleaning the derogs and while applying for mortage. 

Anyway, you can try some pre-qualifications now that require SP to see whether you can qualify with your current credit score and see the loan amount that you can get. If everything looks suitable and not marginal, you may proceed to pre-approal and HP.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 2 of 11
Pony4her
Regular Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

If you want to save thousands of dollars and time, it might be better to spend effort to clearn your credit profile from derogs first. How long would it take to clean your profile? Also, your mortgage score is different from Fico8 and you can get them from myfico (need payment). Myfico also will tell you approximate expected loan rate that you might get qualified. If you want to do this, I suggest to buy the myfico report service for a few months and montior your mortgage scores while cleaning the derogs and while applying for mortage. 

Anyway, you can try some pre-qualifications now that require SP to see whether you can qualify with your current credit score and see the loan amount that you can get. If everything looks suitable and not marginal, you may proceed to pre-approal and HP.

Does the SP affect your score in a negative way?  

Message 3 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

No. Prequal is informal (might not even need SP) and it is based on the information that you provide, typically without verification. If satisfactory and you really want to proceed to the purchase soon, you can start the official pre-approval step with HP. You will have a ~2-3 week time period to apply to several lenders without impacting your credit score (all HPs gets counted as one) and choose the best offer.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 11
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Greetings bobnathan0295 . . . Welcome to the forum . . . I'd tend to agree with the loan broker, if you put 40% down payment the mortgage company's risk is minimum. My DD purchased her mortgage with a score in the low 600s -but- she had a substantial down payment -and- face no problems.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 11
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@bobnathan0295 wrote:

I have a fico score of 645/680/640

I have 16 late payments including a chargeoff in 2020. I caught up with eveything in 2021.

I am planning to put 35-40% down on my home. What is my chances of getting a mortgage loan ?

I am trying to get goodwill and credit repair working on my lates and chargeoff

Does anyone have experiences in this situation ? My loan broker says that there are no issues as long as your FICO score is 640 and you are putting 40% down

I have had one mortgage loan in the past that I paid off

It depends on the type of mortgage. If you do not care what your rate is or how much it costs you then yeah, you can probably get approved for a Non QM loan.

If you're looking for a conventional loan then the answer is not as cut and dry. It is possible that you could get an Automated Underwriting System (AUS) approval with that much money down, but its not guaranteed.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 11
bobnathan0295
Valued Member

Short recap - I was approved for a conforming loan

My middle fico score was 635

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bobnathan0295 

Congratulations 🎉 on your approval. Keep us updated through the process and let us know when you close. Happy for you! 

Message 8 of 11
mja1970
Valued Member

If you are considering a home in a rural or suburan area, try for a USDA loan.  It is 100% financing (no money down) and they only require a middle score of at least 640, which you have.  My wife and I got a USDA loan for our first home 13 years ago and it was a very easy process.  We didn't have to put a penny down and only had to pay for the inspection and appraisal.   Also, your credit is not bad.  Those scores are considered fair/average.

Message 9 of 11
bobnathan0295
Valued Member

I closed on my loan with no hiccups. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.