Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage question

tag
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: What comes next?

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank You for your response. My concearn is that I am 2 months away from completing SL Rehab and my husband and I are looking to purchase a home. We would like to try for an FHA loan but when we previously tried to apply our default was my SL which appeared in CAIVRS. I have worked diligently to clean up our credit and raise our scores. We have 0 collections. My question is how long after my SL Rehab is complete can we try to apply again?

Hi CheryR,

You are good to go right now. Here's why I say that. Generally it will take you 30+ days to find a home & another 30 days to close once you're under contract so even if you are in the CAIVRS system you'll either be out by the time you're ready to close or the student loan will be rehabbed at which point I wouldn't need a clear CAIVRS to get your loan closed.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I would wait until I am done and everything is updated, but I guess that also depends on what the inventory is like in your area.  I don't think it hurts to start looking now, but you don't know what your end result is going to be with the student loan tradelines.  Will you need tradelines to be updated/corrected for score improvement in order to qualify?  Or are your scores currently acceptable?  If you find something and are under contract before everything updates, you may end up with significantly higher scores and now qualify for a lower interest rate.  The rehab is also not considered complete until the loans have been picked up by a new provider, if for some reason they are slow to do this you could be in a predicament as well.  There are just too many unknowns in my opinion.  

I am not an anxious person at all (at least that is what I like to think, LOL), but I had so much anxiety with the whole home buying process and can't wait for it to be over.  Speaking for myself, I would want everything done and as ready as could be before I officially began house hunting.  I'm not sure, can you get a pre-approval without clearing CAIVRS?  I know my seller wanted my pre-approval before they would accept my offer.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok I wasn't sure if I could start right now or if I had to wait. I am hoping to look into a new construction as the market seems very fast pace in the area we're looking in, as homes come available they are off the market just as fast! My scores are definitely good for FHA, because when we initially applied I was just at 580 now my mortgage score is 635. I would still have to wait until my CAIVRS is cleared after rehab before we get the pre-qual? Is that correct?
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No unfortunately I can not get pre-approved without a clear CAIVRS that was where we got stuck last time! I want to be as patient as possible but we're running out of options in the area we're interested in.
Message 14 of 18
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No unfortunately I can not get pre-approved without a clear CAIVRS that was where we got stuck last time! I want to be as patient as possible but we're running out of options in the area we're interested in.

Hi CheryR,

Yes you can, it just depends on the lender. Like I said before, as long as the student loans are in repayment, I don't need a clear CAIVRS for FHA or VA loans.

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You! Im not sure why another FHA lender is telling me that even if my SL are in rehab I need to complete the program before applying basically saying Rehab is not considered a repayment option.
Message 16 of 18
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank You! Im not sure why another FHA lender is telling me that even if my SL are in rehab I need to complete the program before applying basically saying Rehab is not considered a repayment option.

It probably is on overlay or just a difference in interpretation of the guidelines. Just like them requiring a clear CAIVRS prior to closing.

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to be clear you would not need a clear CAIVRS because 1% of the loan balance would be calculated towards my DTI? Even though I am in rehab? Correct?
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.