Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home soon...need a home.

tag
Superk88
Regular Contributor

Moving home soon...need a home.

So me and my wife found out we are expecting our First! Not the perfect timing but where not upset about it.

She is Military and will be seperating next March. Her Credit Score is 735 and only 18k in debt.

I am abuout 80k in debt and score is 540..I should be making around 70k this year and hope to get down to around 40k in debt and get some of these late payments caught up.

Our time frame is about a year, maybe next June.

How should we go about pursieing a home loan. I know her va loan should be used, but also should we buy sometime after Christmas before she gets out. How bad is my credit score gonna hurt on her va loan. Or how should we prepare for this. Any help is great.

We would both be first time home buyers

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving home soon...need a home.

Congratulations to the new baby! Awesome. 👏

First off, I’m not the person to ask specifics about mortgages by any stretch, as I don’t have one. I first came to this board to improve my credit for a possible future mortgage. I’m sure someone else can give you good advice on the VA loan process and timing.

However, getting your debt down and score up will definitely improve your chances and your interest rate.

It will be a struggle to get that debt down, but I’ve learned the most important things will be to have no active collections and to not pay anything late leading up to a mortgage.

If you go search around in the rebuilding credit forum, there is a wealth of information on how to go about that process, and the people are helpful and kind.

It’s great that you’re doing credit improvement this far ahead - I think you’ll make it for a mortgage in time.

Best of luck, and hope someone else can give you more specific advice.
Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@VALoanMaster 

Generally speaking (and I don't know VA loans at all) work on improving your credit score as most mortgage products take the lower of the two borrower's FICO scores and a 540 is a problem I suspect even for most VA lenders.  Big question there is what's keeping your score down as even a slew of debt won't knock an otherwise clean file down to a 540 though you mention you are still taking lates: get the line drawn in the sand as possible to bring those accounts current.

Couldn't really tell you on timing: would suggest though if she isn't rolling into the civilian world immediate I'd apply while she's still in the service and can easily demonstrate income: gaps aren't the end of the world but it's easier when you can show consistency.

        
Message 3 of 6
Superk88
Regular Contributor

Just to throw another monkey wrench into the sitution....would it be easier for her to get a home on her own. I may end up having to file chapter 13.

Message 4 of 6
AZEsq
Regular Contributor

No one ever listens to me, but sometimes right now is not required. She's getting out of the military. She won't have a job. You guys need to rent, wait, save, and make sure your credit is at least on the road to recovery before you look at buying. My .02, but like I said, no one ever listens to me. People are on this board to BUY and I get it, but brokers are there to get you into a house, not make sure you keep it or can afford your life once the extra bills that come with a house come rolling in. Live under your means. Babies are small, you can fit them in closets (look at this on Pinterest, it's really rather adorable). They DO NOT NEED yards and space until they are MUCH older. Please consider it. The worst thing you can do is overspend where you can't afford it and wind up losing or having to sell your home before your child can even appreciate it. #StepsOFFsoapbox

@Superk88 wrote:

Just to throw another monkey wrench into the sitution....would it be easier for her to get a home on her own. I may end up having to file chapter 13.

Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Superk88 wrote:

So me and my wife found out we are expecting our First! Not the perfect timing but where not upset about it.

She is Military and will be seperating next March. Her Credit Score is 735 and only 18k in debt.

I am abuout 80k in debt and score is 540..I should be making around 70k this year and hope to get down to around 40k in debt and get some of these late payments caught up.

Our time frame is about a year, maybe next June.

How should we go about pursieing a home loan. I know her va loan should be used, but also should we buy sometime after Christmas before she gets out. How bad is my credit score gonna hurt on her va loan. Or how should we prepare for this. Any help is great.

We would both be first time home buyers

Hi Superk88,

Congratulations!

Your scores are going to be a problem but the biggest potential problem will be with your wife's employment/income.

Here's what I mean.

These are the VA guidelines: Take a look at the sections in red.

k. Active Military Applicant’s Income

Verification

A military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) is required instead of a VOE.

·   The LES must furnish the same information as a VOE.

·   The LES must be no more than 120 days old (180 days for new construction).

·   For loans closed automatically, the date of the LES must be within 120 days of the date the note is signed (180 days for new construction).

·   For prior approval loans, the date of the LES must be within 120 days of the date the application is received by VA (180 days for new construction).

The LES must be an original or a copy certified by the lender to be a true copy of the original. 

Note:  The Department of Defense provides service members access to a computer generated LES through myPay (formerly known as E/MSS - Employee Member Self Service).  This type of LES is acceptable.

In addition, identify servicemembers who are within 12 months of release from active duty or end of contract term.  Find the date of expiration of the applicant’s current contract for active service on the LES (for an enlisted servicemember).  For a National Guard or Reserve member, find the expiration date of the applicant’s current contract. 

k. Active Military Applicant’s Income (continued)

Verification (continued)

If the date is within 12 months of the anticipated date that the loan will close, the loan package must also include one of the following four items, or combinations of items, to be acceptable:

·   documentation that the servicemember has already re-enlisted or extended his/her period of active duty to a date beyond the 12-month period following the projected closing of the loan, or

·   verification of a valid offer of local civilian employment following the release from active duty.  All data pertinent to sound underwriting procedures (date employment will begin, earnings, and so on) must be included, or

·   a statement from the servicemember that he/she intends to reenlist or extend his/her period of active duty to a date beyond the 12 month period, plus

·   a statement from the servicemember’s commanding officer confirming that:

-   the servicemember is eligible to reenlist or extend his/her active duty as indicated, and

-   the commanding officer has no reason to believe that such reenlistment or extension of active duty will not be granted, or

·   documentation of other unusually strong positive underwriting factors, such as:

-   a downpayment of at least 10 percent,

-   significant cash reserves, and

-   clear evidence of strong ties to the community coupled with a nonmilitary spouse’s income so high that only minimal income from the active duty servicemember is needed to qualify.

Analysis:  Base Pay

Consider the applicant’s base pay as stable and reliable except if the applicant is within 12 months of release from active duty.

·   Analyze the additional documentation submitted.

·   If the applicant will not be reenlisting, determine whether:

-   the applicant’s anticipated source of income is stable and reliable, and/or

-   unusually strong underwriting factors compensate for any unknowns regarding future sources of income.

Do you know what your wife is going to do when she gets out?
Based on the guidelines, it looks like you will definitely need to be on the loan for income purposes so that means you need to clean up your credit. Ideally you want to have a clean 12 month history with no late payments when you apply for a VA mortgage but there are some exceptions to that rule. The main thing is to get your scores up because that's what gets your foot in the door so to speak.

Does that make sense?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.