Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mtg app NFCU 1 yr post CH 7 w/ hardship circumstances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mtg app NFCU 1 yr post CH 7 w/ hardship circumstances

Hello,
My husband and I had to file a Ch7 a yr ago due to what V.A. has already deemed to be “extenuating/hardship” circumstances. Our credit was impeccable before and has been impeccable since. We did re-affirm our cars and several accts on credit reports show paid (positive). We both show some paid off accounts in our credit rpts, so I’m guessing that’s good.

My husband spoke to NFCU this past June, got the go-ahead from V.A re “extenuating circumstance/hardship” (meaning we only had to wait one yr) to apply for financing & rec’d new COE. NFCU told him to wait till about a week or so before the exact date of filing of the CH 7 (this week) and put in a call to a loan officer. Said loan ofcr. would ask for COE and backing documentation for hardship. He took notes of all this and we’ve been waiting. We called today as we have checked on myFICO as well as NFCU and our scores are in the 680s & 690s, respectively. NFCU even sent me a credit card w/ 3K CL, though all I had was a secured for $200. We were told we could not speak to a loan ofcr until we put in the application, which according to them, we can do “any time”. I worry about pulling credit too soon or too many times.

Have any of you folks gone through anything similar with NFCU & might u have any advice for us?
*P.S Neither NFCU nor VA loan on our CH 7-we’ve never used VA home loan benefit b4*
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Mtg app NFCU 1 yr post CH 7 w/ hardship circumstances

Hi and welcome

You won’t know for sure unless you apply. I say pull the plug if your DTI is good. Any mortgage applications within a 14-day period would be seen as one.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,
My husband and I had to file a Ch7 a yr ago due to what V.A. has already deemed to be “extenuating/hardship” circumstances. Our credit was impeccable before and has been impeccable since. We did re-affirm our cars and several accts on credit reports show paid (positive). We both show some paid off accounts in our credit rpts, so I’m guessing that’s good.

My husband spoke to NFCU this past June, got the go-ahead from V.A re “extenuating circumstance/hardship” (meaning we only had to wait one yr) to apply for financing & rec’d new COE. NFCU told him to wait till about a week or so before the exact date of filing of the CH 7 (this week) and put in a call to a loan officer. Said loan ofcr. would ask for COE and backing documentation for hardship. He took notes of all this and we’ve been waiting. We called today as we have checked on myFICO as well as NFCU and our scores are in the 680s & 690s, respectively. NFCU even sent me a credit card w/ 3K CL, though all I had was a secured for $200. We were told we could not speak to a loan ofcr until we put in the application, which according to them, we can do “any time”. I worry about pulling credit too soon or too many times.

Have any of you folks gone through anything similar with NFCU & might u have any advice for us?
*P.S Neither NFCU nor VA loan on our CH 7-we’ve never used VA home loan benefit b4*
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

NFCU isn't really known for giving exceptions or really working with folks that have had issues. I would consider trying with a different lender first. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much. I’ve been so stressed over this. NFCU is who we bank with. We have talked about it and are going to talk to one of their financial advisors as well (before we put in the application). Just to make sure the info my husband got was good. Have a good evening.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate this info so much. An officer at V.A. told my husband that it’s lucky we bank with NFCU as they do good due diligence on a case by case basis w/ situations like ours, especially given the nature of our “extenuating circumstance”.

While it’s a bit distressing to read what you’ve shared, I’m so glad to know it. We will be doing a lot of research and speaking to a financial advisor before diving in. Thanks again & have a good night
Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I appreciate this info so much. An officer at V.A. told my husband that it’s lucky we bank with NFCU as they do good due diligence on a case by case basis w/ situations like ours, especially given the nature of our “extenuating circumstance”.

While it’s a bit distressing to read what you’ve shared, I’m so glad to know it. We will be doing a lot of research and speaking to a financial advisor before diving in. Thanks again & have a good night

I helped a Veteran get approved & into a new home earlier this year after NFCU & another lender denied them for a VA mortgage even though they qualified under extenuating circumstances.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.