Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Initial Loan Application Experience

tag
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

My Initial Loan Application Experience

So I applied for a FHA loan with a local credit union I belong to. I didn't hear anything for a week, even after sending a couple emails directly to the loan officer. I had emailed the loan officer last winter about my situation (CH13 discharged Aug 2014) and she said it was not a problem. So my Realtor suggested PrimeLending. The loan officer quickly replied, no, I have towait 12 months post discharge. He said go ahead and apply now and he can work on some stuff so we are ready to go in August. So I applied and uploaded financial documents because I had not heard anything from credit union in over a week. 

Well, the credit union responds later that day for me to upload some documents and to sign a bunch of disclosures, She sent a GFE and a Truth in Lending doc and some HUD documents. It was about 60 pages plus a nice booklet about financing your first home and all that. Interest rate is 3.375%.

Meanwhile a day or so later, guy from PrimeLending emails that he has good news. He researched some stuff and I can go ahead now with loan and not have to wait the 12 months. But he says there is a mortgage on my credit report but I'm ok as long as it was not foreclosed on. I tell him it was a 2nd mortgage and it was foreclosed on. He asks if I am sure because he thinks I reaffirmed it. I tell him no, it was foreclosed in June, 2011. I send him a snap shot of the court record. He proceeds to look it up for himself. Well, he replies that it was foreclosed on June, 2011 (duh). So I ask if he could send me a GFE. He replies that he cannot because of some HUD paper. He tells me the payment and roughly the total closing costs. I ask about the interest rate because I was given a GFE from another lender for 3.375%.

He replies that he does not know how anyone could offer me that rate and that he is happy to help me but he has spent considerable time already and I need to make my mind up. That kind of honked me off. First off, my realtor already knew I applied at credit union. He said he spoke with his guy at PrimeLending about me. Second, he initially told me he couldn't even work with me until 12 months post discharge. Maybe he should have a better understanding of the FHA program. And I told him when the foreclosure was. I have the document but it takes 5 minutes to look it up, if that. 

I don't understand how he expects me to make up my mind if he can't send me the Truth in Lending docs. I did a full application. Gave paystubs, W-2's, tax forms, rent payments, copy of driver's license, and all my bank statements. And he pulled my credit. 

Primelending is 4%. Both 30 year. No lender assists with the credit union. I thought I was being more fiscally responsible by checking more than one lender.

Was it wrong for me to request the Truth in Lending doc?

Ok, rant over. Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: My Initial Loan Application Experience

You did the right thing by asking for the TIL docs now, up front.

My daughter and her husband went through Prime Lending in AZ and I wasn't very impressed with the LO at all...Ultimately they got a decent loan, but it was like pulling teeth to get information and any response from the LO during the entire process.

I think you should shop around for a mortgage. The fact that he was completely unaware that you could finance with a Ch 13 tells you about this particular LOs experience.

Try getting a quote from other lenders and if you are happy with your CU - then stick with them.

Message 2 of 13
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

My daughter and her husband went through Prime Lending in AZ and I wasn't very impressed with the LO at all...Ultimately they got a decent loan, but it was like pulling teeth to get information and any response from the LO during the entire process.

I think you should shop around for a mortgage. The fact that he was completely unaware that you could finance with a Ch 13 tells you about this particular LOs experience.

Try getting a quote from other lenders and if you are happy with your CU - then stick with them.

Thanks - I feel better now. I was starting to doubt myself and feel like I was in the wrong for asking or shopping around. The loan officer made me feel like I wasn't being truthful about the other interest rate but all the docs have 3.375% on them. I understand that the rate isn't locked in and can change, but I was not lying.

Message 3 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

He was kicking himself...but he shouldn't take it out on you. Some LOs just can't handle competition Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Its_Me wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Thanks - I feel better now. I was starting to doubt myself and feel like I was in the wrong for asking or shopping around. The loan officer made me feel like I wasn't being truthful about the other interest rate but all the docs have 3.375% on them. I understand that the rate isn't locked in and can change, but I was not lying.

It is *never* wrong to shop around, it's even right there built into the FICO algorithm and virtually every talking head suggests one should do that.  

Don't let a LO bully you into something, not only is life too short but it doesn't need to be tolerated in this instance.  There's likely hundreds if not thousands of lenders out there, 90+% will be gone when rates go up, but for now there's plenty to choose from.

Doesn't take that much in the way of rate shopping to keep everyone honest, and given there's no score or even financial penalty for doing so (since you don't make the application fee until game time seemingly but I'm not at that point yet so might be slightly off).  Maybe can even use them to hedge: I have two lenders neither of which I feel that strongly about (though I'd give the nod to Chase on this one for my situation), one of which I'll wind up rate locking near immediately other I may let float and see if we get a last gasp refinance wave mortgage rate swing assuming there's some time before I make an offer with the way I'm approaching this.

It's_not_you this time, it's_them. Smiley Happy

        
Message 5 of 13
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

Thank you Revelate. I've been reading these boards for quite some time now and as I start the loan application process, I now see why so many folks get apprehensive. There is a lot of information out there (Internet, Realtors, Loan Officers, Blogs, etc,) and I've learned that there are a lot of inaccuracies. Regulation changes, lender overlays and differing loan program requirements just adds to the confusion.

It makes it very difficult when you receive conflicting information from 2 different loan officers. Luckily, I am pretty good at researching things and was fortunate to find the HUD 4155.1, Mortgage Credit Analysis for Mortgage Insurance which has been a handy resource.  But I have to say that this board is extremely invaluable and I appreciate all the expert advice. I am going with my gut on this one and sticking with the credit union (provided I get preapproved). The fact that the loan officer was able to provide me a GFE and Truth in Lending doc when the other one said he could not do it spoke volumes. I thought it was required within 3 days of application.

Now I just have to wait on the preapproval which the loan officer said I should have this week! My initial application was a refer so I am hoping I meet the requirments.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

An LO told you that he's already spent enough time on you and that you "need to make your mind up"??? I would have kicked him to the curb right then and there. Dude doesn't seem to realize he is selling a product - a product that many, many others are selling as well. Any salesperson should know that one does not make a sale by telling a customer "I've already wasted enough time with you - make up your mind." Please. Divorce him. Now.

Message 7 of 13
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Please. Divorce him. Now.

Agreed, I won't be needing his services. And even more disturbing is that my Realtor recommended him. I think he send all his clients to him if they don't already have a lender.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Its_Me wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please. Divorce him. Now.

Agreed, I won't be needing his services. And even more disturbing is that my Realtor recommended him. I think he send all his clients to him if they don't already have a lender.

Don't be too disturbed that your Realtor recommended the guy. Realtors are like everyone else - they like to be comfortable and they like to work with people they've worked with in the past rather than deal with unknown LOs. It's human nature, I think. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know kind of thing.

I'd certainly let the Realtor know your experience with the LO he recommended. If enough clients share negative info about the lender your Realtor would be wise to find a new go-to guy.

Message 9 of 13
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't be too disturbed that your Realtor recommended the guy. Realtors are like everyone else - they like to be comfortable and they like to work with people they've worked with in the past rather than deal with unknown LOs. It's human nature, I think. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know kind of thing.

I'd certainly let the Realtor know your experience with the LO he recommended. If enough clients share negative info about the lender your Realtor would be wise to find a new go-to guy.

Thank you for that. I was starting to worry if I should find another Realtor. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.