cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey/FHA 203k Questions, Sorry for the Longishness!

tag
redbone0528

My Journey/FHA 203k Questions, Sorry for the Longishness!

Good evening all!

I am a frequent reader, infrequent poster.  I just wanted to share where I am, and see if any of you have an idea of where I go next!  I started a few years ago with a sub-500 score across all three bureaus.  After some very hard work, and consistent payment of new cards, I am now at 667, 677, and 717 across all three, according to my broker.  I am doing an FHA 203k, gah!

I went through a preapproval a couple of months ago, just fine.  Lost a house or two due to the the market quickening up in my area.  No biggie, they were houses that I was on the fence about.  Not sure that I wanted them, but pissed that someone else made the decision for me.  That was until I saw THIS house...

After five minutes I knew it was mine.  Older, with character.  I saw more newer builds than I can count, and there were about 6 floor plans between the lot of them.  I started to confuse listings because they all seemed to be the same house!  This one, I felt the spirit of the house the minute I walked through the door.  Older, yes.  Repairs needed, yes.  Mine, hells yes!  I connected immediately, and it was the first home that I wanted to make an offer on the same night.

Long story short, I put in an offer on the bank-owned property.  As always, they shot back submit your final and best offer.  I did, at asking with half of the closing versus the full closing I had in the initial offer.  It was accepted, yay #1!  The property obviously needed a bit of work, not a ton.  My offer was at $99,900.  Excellent price for 2100 sq ft, three season room, and beautiful yard, especially for the area.  I expected to put $15k-25k in repairs or updates, which is totally in my comfort zone.  I was preapproved for up to $150k.

Now I am in the hurry up and wait phase.  I had my inspection done on Thursday.  Stuff needs to be done, but nothing more than I expected.  Meeting with contractors on Monday and Wednesday.  According to my broker, my file is ready to go to the underwriter, and is just waiting for my improvement estimates.  At this point, I have no idea what comes next??!?!

I have no rate, no loan amount (due to waiting on construction esitametes), nada.  I am an internet junkie, and I have read for literal hours on the home buying process and the 203k loan.  I am just on pins and needles waiting for something else to happen!  I just want to know that we can move forward, and that the home is mine.  I know there is no way to promise that.  I have read the horror stories, people denied two days before closing.  My credit is pretty clean, 2 collections or less across each bureau, all paid and 5 years or older.  Paid state tax lein on only one report, Experian.  Immaculate pay history for over 5 years.  I am just freaking that some zombie debt will appear out of nowhere.  I am opted out and I hope that this won't happen, but my hoping won't stop it if it does.

I am also having issues with my down payment.  Not really issues, but issues all the same.  I don't have the full amount in my accounts at this point.  But I have about $4k worth of bonuses and commissions floating in the ether, just waiting to deposit.  With the funds I already have, this is more than enough.  I should have it all before 6/20, but that is pushing my 6/30 anticipated closing date.

At this point, I just dont know what comes next!  Underwriting, conditions, denial, what?!?!?!  I am hoping that everything goes to the underwriter, they tell me what they need, I give it, then this is my house.  That just seems too easy.  Does anyone have recent experience with an FHA 203k (streamlined) loan?  I know this is uber long, so thank you in advace for taking the time to read it!  I appreciate any input or advice that you can offer.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: My Journey/FHA 203k Questions, Sorry for the Longishness!

I have some slightly older 203(k) experience. 

Your loan amount cannot exceed 110% of the appraisal value. I had to re-negotiate the purchase price when my appraisal came in low 2 years ago. The market has improved, so here's hoping you get the appraisal you need.

Since the HUD inspector found some minor issue that were deemed structural, I had to go full 203(k) despite the rehab amount qualifying for a streamline.

Your 3.5% down payment amount is based on the full loan, not on the purchase price. I'm 2 years into my loan and I'm working on refinancing into a conventional loan because otherwise, I'm paying PMI ($115/mo) for 17 years of my 30 year loan, since the LTV is based on the LOWER of your purchase price and your appraisal amount. I believe the current FHA rules have you paying PMI for the life of the loan.

Depending on how property taxes work in your state, prepare to be shocked by how much they change just a year down the road. I paid the old owner's rate for a year and then got a 29% increase.

I also had some contractor nightmares. Ask a ton of questions - make sure that you're on the same page about finishes and price shopping for materials and all of that stuff. My HUD guy apparently had some unusual way of doing it, and I was stuck with him - he wrote up what he thought it would cost, section by section, parts / labor, and then if I opted for a cheaper option, my contractor would get paid for the materials amount and if I opted for a more expensive option, he'd try to get the difference. I raised holy hell and got what I wanted at an appropriate price, at least for materials. If I had to do it over again, I would have talked to more contractors and detailed every thing I wanted and make sure they understand that I get approval on every single material. I would also get a timeline in writing from them.

My understanding from my lender is that it is standard for the contractors to give you bids and for you to choose them based on whatever you choose them on, and definitely not the way I ended up stuck with it. Know what you want, and have an understanding of costs of your materials. One of my favorite interactions was when I told my contractor that the sink I wanted was $1200 in the store he had an account at, and it was $800 online, delivered. I told him he needed to get it for that price or to order it online and I gave him the link. He got his supplier to meet the price on the sink and beat the price on the sink grate to go with it. 

Oh, and expect home insurance to possibly be more than you expect. Mine is based on the cost to rebuild my house as it is, and is twice what online estimators want to guess. Rebuilding cost on my house is more than twice my appraisal value.

Also, start finding out where to buy older items. Habitat for Humanity has these Re-Stores where you can find all kinds of pieces for pretty cheap. I bought all of my kitchen cabinets at one for about $800 instead of the $5000 I was going to spend to buy new ones. (They were necessary - previous owner ripped out the kitchen. I don't mean the appliances. I mean everything but the floor.)

My house is circa 1860-1880, I believe. How old is yours?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
CreditGrasshoppa
Established Member

This is the OP, somehow I created a new account last night instead of signing into my old one.  That's what happenes when you combine posting with wine!

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I was told that I can choose my own contractor as well.  I have already scheduled two, and am looking for a third.  How did you get stuck with yours?  I appreciate the ideas about shopping for my upgrades.  I am a huge internet shopper and I can almost always find an item cheaper online.  I will make sure when meeting with contractors to stress that I have final price approval.

The house was built in 1968.  Nowhere near as old as yours, but considering that so many here seem to be building, it seems ancient! 

Message 3 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

I chose him from a few - he seemed like the best choice. I didn't probe him enough, I didn't know what I was doing. I should have known more about the mechanics of the program and asked my lender for recommendations as well. Not all contractors want to do the 203(k), so you'll have a limited selection. I would recommend asking things like how they deal with the mechanics of payment, what the timeline is, what other jobs he has at the  time, etc. My other problem is that I trusted the HUD guy with too much and I should have tried to replace him before closing, but I didn't know any better. As a chick, for me, there should always be red flags when someone treats you in a paternalistic manner when they're in that kind of role. It seems OK, but then you figure out that they're just patting you on the head and saying "there there". A HUD guy for payouts and such was required for the full loan, so every time money was coming out of escrow, the HUD guy had to come out.

Message 4 of 7
CreditGrasshoppa
Established Member

I want to thank you again mauve for your insight.  As you can see there are tons of views on my post, but you are the only one commenting.  Seems like the 203k is not a very popular choice right now!

I am shooting for the Streamline, as none of my repairs are structural.  I had initially wanted to get the fence replaced, but that would push it to a full 203k, and I am trying to avoid that at all costs.  I need some electrical work and cosmetics.  While the house was vacant, someone also liberated the house of all of the copper pipes.  The lines themselves have been replaced with updated pipes, but a few things are missing, such as the condensation pipe from the air conditioner and the grounding from the electrical panel.  There are beautiful oak floors hidden under carpet in 4 rooms, and exposed hardwood that needs refinished in the rest of the rooms.  You can still see the holes from the tack strips where they previously had carpet installed.  Such a shame.  The roof needs a bit of work, and the garage door and opener are on their last legs.  I also need some work in the three season room, and the deck needs refreshed.  There are a few other things, but this list sounds long as it is!  I am hoping to get them all done for under $25k, max.  Fully updated homes in the area are appraising at about $150k.  My realtor estimates mine at about $160k when fully updated, due to the size of the home and the lot.  So even $25k should keep my payment very manageable and well under the after reno value of the home.

I have two contractors scheduled, and I am going to schedule one more tomorrow.  Two of them are 203k certified, and are very familiar with how to complete the estimate, as well as the draw process.  The third is a well respected company in my area, and was recommended by my broker.  However, I will not know how they feel about the 203k until I meet with him tomorrow.  I am completely OCD about reading up on anything I am doing.  So I have studied the 203k Streamline process intensively over the last few weeks, as well as how to identify a proper contractor.  Hopefully my obsession leads me in the right direction!

I am just ready to get the estimates already so I can get this train moving.  I want to close already, sheesh!  Smiley Happy   Wish me luck!

Message 5 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

As much of a pain as it was, and as much of a problem I had with my HUD guy and my contractor, and as much as I still need to do to this house, I am glad I got it.

Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I personally like older homes.  My first home was a duplex built in 1979 and my second home is a split level built in 1978.  They both have that very earthy, organic feel, with very solid construction.  I've done some minor cosmetic updates in the duplex, but the second home was "move in" ready.

I think a 203k loan is a great option because it allows you to personalize your house into what will work best for your family.  You can also get the house cheaper in some cases.

Best of luck to you with the upcoming closing!  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.