cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP: Mortgage in husband's name but shows up on my report. Can I get it removed?

tag
siren8780
Established Member

NEED HELP: Mortgage in husband's name but shows up on my report. Can I get it removed?

I've been thinking about how to request that late payments on our mortgage be removed by our lenders (the mortgage has been transfered two or three times). However, it occured to me that the loan is actually only in my husbands name. I am on the deed, but not the loan. They do show my name on the statements from the mortgage company, but again, I am not the borrower. When we bought the house I didn't have enough of a credit history to qualify.

Do you think that I can request to have the account removed all together? If there was a good payment history I would want to keep it on my report, but we struggled financily the last few years and have a lot of late payments.  

I'm thinking that I should write a letter to the CRAs stating that I am not the borrower or co-borrower and so the accounts should be removed.  

Any suggestions and feedback would be so helpful!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: NEED HELP: Mortgage in husband's name but shows up on my report. Can I get it removed?

Look at the mortgage documents from the last time you refinanced or when you bought the house and see if your name is on the application. If it is on the application AND you have late payments, it is hard to dispute it on your credit report. Your mortgage company will dispute it back showing you were late on payments and it will stay on the credit report. 

Also, I suspect that your name is on the loan since your name is on the monthly mortgage statement

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 3
siren8780
Established Member

Re: NEED HELP: Mortgage in husband's name but shows up on my report. Can I get it removed?

Hi, I checked and my name is not on the HUD1 or the loan documents. I'm not even sure how I ever got put on these accounts. My plan was to send a letter to the CRA and attach a copy of the HUD1 to prove my point.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.