Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU VA Loan?

tag
bman86
Regular Contributor

NFCU VA Loan?

I'm looking at getting pre approved through NFCU next month for a VA Loan. Does anyone have any experience with navy fed and home loans? My credit has improved a lot over the last few months 100% on time payments AAoA is around 3.5 years I have 2 charge-off accounts that are about 5-6 years old and have been paid in full (im still trying to get them GW'd off my credit) Currently my utilization is about 25% which it will be at less then 10% next month.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU VA Loan?

I completed a VA loan with NFCU in 01/13. Amazing experience. They were friendly and communicative all the way. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 9
LesWH
Established Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I completed a VA loan with NFCU in 01/13. Amazing experience. They were friendly and communicative all the way. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

I applied today for pre-approval with NFCU, which I received rather quickly.  The pre-approval letter was waiting for me in my email when I got home.  Now I have to find a home that I like.  Once you found a home, what were the steps NFCU took you through?

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 3 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Almost everything with NFCU was available to complete online. There were some documents which needed to be printed and ink signed then faxed back. I am fortunate to have a branch in my neighborhood and they took care of the faxing. I had both regular e-mail and phone contact with my loan officer. She kept me up to date with where we were and what was next.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Message 4 of 9
amtrucker22

I was recently approved for my VA loan via NFCU.  They have been great so far!

Message 5 of 9
bman86
Regular Contributor

Where you still active duty when you applied? How do they base your approval amount? I know most traditional loans go off last two years of W2's but I have heard various things about VA and NFCU using last three months of LES statements? Also did you have any new accounts or recent iquiries when you applied for pre approval?

Message 6 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I don't know how they do active duty. I just electronically signed a form for them to pull my tax transcripts. Didn't submit W-2's. Just call them. Their CSR's are amazing and they will be able to answer your questions. I know they have a separate group for mortgages but you can reach them through the standard 1-800 #.

Message 7 of 9
bman86
Regular Contributor

Good to know, I have had great experience with them so far. I'm glad to hear a that you have had similar experiences through their mortgages. I'm taking the plunge next month so wish me luck!!

Message 8 of 9
sglov

any news?  I've just applied today for the VA loan through them and I'm trying to anticipate what I'm going to experience.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.