Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice about Credit Reports & Closing! Complicated Loan Process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice about Credit Reports & Closing! Complicated Loan Process

Ok so my fiance and I decided to look for a house to buy. We talked to a loan officer and was told since I am self-employed for less than 2 years, I cannot be on the loan. So, my father is taking my place as a co-signer and we got pre-approved for FHA. Got some issues with my dad being a co-signer (his income was weird) but that all got taken care of.

We finally find a house we like, put in a bid and accepted. Just got through the inspections and now waiting on appraisal. 

In the mean time, after my dad and fiance started filled out the official application, submitted all documents, the loan officer tells me the lender doesn't like that my dad and my fiance are on the loan together, unrelated. They want an extra $40,000 down for the loan! Obviously, with the wedding just around the corner and us already saving every penny for this, we don't have that. So, my loan officer is in fact adding my name to the loan, just not my income, since I am obviosuly related to my father and so we don't have to pay an extra $40k. We never planned me to be on there so of course if we needed to sacrifice any credit these past few months, we used mine.

I started the application process and saw the credit report they took out. It didn't dawn on me until now that the report didn't include the small loan I took out back in February. Now if I knew that I was going to be on this mortgage loan, I would not have taken it out! I paid back the loan already, because I ended up not needing it. I have a letter from the company who gave me my loan that says that it is paid in full. There was also never any hard inquiries for me to get this loan either, so nothing shows up! 

We close in less than 30 days!

What I am afraid of is the soft pull that will occur a day or two before closing and it shows this loan. I'm hoping it shows paid off! But even still, the fact that it could pop up scares me! It's already been a bumpy road and by me being added to the mortgage loan has increased the back end DTI to 42% from 40%. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice about Credit Reports & Closing! Complicated Loan Process

It sounds like your lender did not do their diligence with the upfront work... collecting documents after an offer is made?! Ouch! Anyway, the small loan shouldn't be an issue, especially if paid in full. You may just have to write a letter of explanation.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some lenders dont do a 2nd pull before closing. Keep an eye on your report from using the service here or creditkarma (free). If it shows, nip it in the butt real quick.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I definitely am! 

I am just a nervous wreck through this entire process. 

Part of me knows, since the loan is already paid off, that it shouldn't be a problem, but the other part of me is terrified that this may be a reason for the lender to deny us...seems like they want to find something!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may only need a letter explaining the situation as one of the conditions. Shouldn't be a problem if you can show it's been paid off/back.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update!

So I did what someone else told me, check up on my credit report to see if the lending club loan pops up and sure enough it just did! Freaking out not only because it just popped up and our file just got out of underwriting with conditions and almost have the clear to close next week, but it's not showing as paid in full/closed! It's showing that I haven't made any payments!

I called my LO right away and he laughed at me for freaking out. He said, they already knew about the loan (NEWS TO ME!), and the monthly payment was fine as our DTI ratio was good even with it so we are good to go. I told him that it was already paid in full, and he said it doesn't matter either way but to send him the paid in full letter anyway just in case. 

So after a few weeks of sickening worry and stress about this, it didn't even matter. We close a week early now 5/15! 

The only thing that has been a pain is proving that my father (co-signer) owns his house and doesn't have a mortgage! No mortgage on his credit report, proof from the homeowners insurance that he owns the home outright was not enough. Now my loan officer is ordering a title search on my dad's home to further prove that he owns it. Go figure! 

Message 6 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Your loan officer is doing what is supposed to be done. You are in good shape with the purchase. All the best.

Message 7 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.