Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with FHA Refinancing

tag
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Need Help with FHA Refinancing

Anyone familiar with FHA refinancing? We got our mortgage in July 2010. I want to refinance if it is going to save me money. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Need Help with FHA Refinancing

prabs99 wrote:

Anyone familiar with FHA refinancing? We got our mortgage in July 2010. I want to refinance if it is going to save me money. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of help do you need? Do you have a specific question?

Message 2 of 5
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Have no idea where to start. I keep gettting mailers, but not sure I trust those.

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

First place to start is with the value of your home and the remaining balance of your mortgage.

What is your current interest rate?

You have a mortgage now (FHA) where the MIP will drop off automatically when the LTV gets to 78% of the original amount borrowed.  If you go for another FHA loan with a high LTV (over 90%) then the MIP will stay for the life of the loan. It might not be worth it to you do refi if you have to refi back into a FHA loan. 

You will want to speak to a correspondent type lender to see what your options are for a refinance. Sometimes it isn't worth the effort.

If your home's value is high enough, and the interest rate is low enough, then refinancing into a conventional loan might be worth your while.

Start with the numbers so see what works for you. By the way, you don't have to get a 30 year loan. You can refinance into a 25 year loan or 20 year loan if the numbers work for you. 

Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@prabs99 wrote:

Have no idea where to start. I keep gettting mailers, but not sure I trust those.

talk to friends/family/coworkers and see if they can refer you to someone they used and liked.

know any realtors?  they all know lenders

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.