Did you mean: 

Need advice- 807 & 793 credit, 51% DTI, VA loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice- 807 & 793 credit, 51% DTI, VA loan

Inquiring for my parents

My mom has a 807 credit score; my dad a 793.  Their debt is:

$250/month car payment (less than 8 payments left- the mortgage guy said to pay 2 more payments, it was 10 payments until payoff)

$490/month mortgage for rental house (rent=$600; never claimed on their taxes; they didn't realize they had to because it was a "wash", therefore mortgage is assessed as debt)

$500/month Discover card (they charge it during the month and pay it off the following month, every month)

Income:

$1104 social security (dad)

$304 social security (mom)

$45,000 annual salary

BofA said no-- too high DTI

Went to a mortgage broker who put it through the VA pre-approval process and got an approval.  Said debt to income was 51% but the recommendations were to "ignore the ratios, lend on credit score".

All the paperwork is in, waiting for a VA appraisal.

Purchase price of home including VA funding fee (used for the second time): $243K

The mortgage guy says he really doesn't see an issue and is 95% sure it will go through.

What are the experts opinions here?

We were exploring another option to get that DTI down: selling that other house at a $10K loss to one of those "we pay cash for houses" places.  Would that help this? 

Any insight, help, advice, etc. would be welcomed!

They want this house very badly-- nothing else out there like this one!

TIA!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice- 807 & 793 credit, 51% DTI, VA loan

I forgot to add the payment, taxes, etc on the house they are hoping to purchase

Price of home $234,900

Yearly property taxes: $5,800

Va funding fee $7,800

4.5% rate

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

eeeek ....

those taxes are rough!

i just bought a house for $295k (tax ass was $320k) and I pay $1,614 in tax per year!!!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know!  It makes me want to cry thinking about paying nearly $500 in property taxes per month!!!

Message 4 of 6
Agee
New Visitor

What was the outcome?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love those taxes. Here in Nj we are looking at houses in the $250,000 range and taxes are at or above $10,000. One house we really like is $250,000. and has $11860. taxes. It is crazy.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.