Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on my next steps

tag
boilerfan
Established Member

Need advice on my next steps

We are looking to build a home and think we have found the one. We just got pre-approved by USAA to help with negotiations. I'm not certain if I want to use USAA Mortgage so should I go out and do some more shopping right now while I would only take one HP or should I wait until the house is getting closer to finished? They quoted us at 120 days build time on the house. Do most pre-approvals last that long or would I have to take another HP anyway? USAA said they will extend the pre-approval for us past the 90 day limit if we need to. The builder offers $1750 in closing costs if we work with their preferred lender which is a smaller local lender.

Any suggestions on whether a broker is better than a bank? Anybody have any experience with USAA mortgage? We are full members.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on my next steps

We are in the middle of building a new home with a production builder and are going to use their lender simply because their rates are competitive and we were able to negotiate so they will cover 2% of the closing costs if we do. If your builder uses a small local lender I would definitely talk to them; I found that local credit unions and lenders tend to have competitive rates and were more helpful and accessible (both my back up lenders are local CUs). Our loan is approved but we can't lock in a rate until 60 days before closing, which will be the last week of this month. They will repull credit to make sure there are no changes and we will need to supply new pay statements and bank statements but that's it. As for USAA, we are long time members and I love their banking, insurance and investment products but I HATE their mortgage services and would never deal with them again. (they out source their mortgage lending so you aren't truly dealing with USAA so you don't get the same level of service.) The two times in the past we've dealt with them were nightmares. their rates weren't the best available, I got misinformation from the rep handling the loan, their out of the area appraisers were way off (to the tune of $25,000...I knew the minute I saw the report it was all wrong). Both times we walked away and went with a local lender and we were so much happier! I didn't even bother looking at USAA with this house (though I looked at NFCU as a possibility) . At this point they could offer to beat all the great rates I've been offered and I still wouldn't deal with them due to all the issues we had before with misinformation, paperwork and bad appraisals. Building a new home is incredibly exciting but stressful, too, so finding a lender who can make the loan process as straightforward as possible is important. They poured our driveway and front steps yesterday and have started dry wall today, so the end is in sight and I can't wait!
Message 2 of 3
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice on my next steps

Definately talk to their lender.  Get a GFE from both and take the better deal.  It's always a good idea to shop around.  A house is the biggest purchase most people will make in their lifetimes, why wouldn't you shop around for the best deal on the financing?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.