Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help, In process of underwriting for mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help, In process of underwriting for mortgage

Funny you asked, just found out the other day I got a lender, got the commitment today. So it is possible to get a loan after a charge off 

Message 21 of 27
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

What type of loan?
VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conventional,   4.35  % rate

Message 23 of 27
me12345
Frequent Contributor

Wow! I don't know how this was done based on what you told us here.... Goes against all the guidelines. 

VA & FHA down to 550...
Licensed Senior Mortgage Loan Officer in the states of Arizona & California
Specializing in VA, FHA, USDA & Conventional loans. My company is also licensed in 12 states, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Utah,
Alaska, New Mexico, Texas, Illinois and Florida
Message 24 of 27
emferrari
Established Member

I am going thru a similar process right now.

I had most lenders tell me it can not be done. I had a short sale back in June/2014 and since then we have been perfect on the mortgage and other bills. We are putting 20% down on a new house.

Here is what one of my lenders told me:

"Prior to October 2017, we did have it to where there was a 4 year waiting period after a short sale before you could get another mortgage. As of October 2017, only for a short sale, there is a 3 year waiting period after the title transfer date."

I have not yet started the process as I am waiting for the contract, but I have another major bank LO that told me he recently closed 2 loans with very similar situations to mine. And I am not doing an FHA Loan, it is a Conventional Loan.

In addition, I have as a backup, Quicken Loans Rocket Mortgage Advantage Credit product. It has a rate higher about 1250 base points, but the goal is to close and refinance about 2-3 months later with no lender costs.

Can the OP please let me know if he was able to finally close?

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get a mortgage 2 years from the date of the short sale, I believe you just need a letter stating what happened, if you had trouble paying your bills etc.
Message 26 of 27
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Fannie & Freddie both require a 4 year wait after a short sale unless you can document the short sale was the result of extenuating circumstances in which case the waiting period is reduced to 2 years.
FHA requires a 3 year wait unless there were extenuating circumstances OR the mortgage payments & all installment payments were made on time for the 12 months preceding the short sale.
VA doesn’t have short sale specific guidelines so it’s realy up to the lender. Most lenders apply the standard VA foreclosure guidelines which require a 2 year wait unless there were extenuating circumstances. If the mortgage payments were on time leading up to the short sale some lenders will approve you immediately while others will require a 1 year wait.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.