Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need mortgage advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need mortgage advice

I plan to apply for mortagage in about 2 years and do want to know if I'm on the right track to get the best interest rate, etc.

My credit background:
My oldest credit card was opened on 1/17.
2 CC accounts from '17 and 4 CC accounts from '18.
I have 6 credit cards (1 secured, 1 charge, 2 cash back and as 1 autorized user). 1 business CC from CapOne (supposed to be reported on personal, but I don't see it. It's been 1 mo only)
My monthly balance isn't high (around $500), but might go up to $3500/mo just for 1 year with $14,051 credit limit.
No late payments or any other bad records. 
FICO is around 715. TU,EQ around 700-720.
My goal is to get to 760+ in 2 years. I don't want to apply to any CC, loan, etc. for next 2 years (maybe slightly less - 21-22 months).

My income is at $36,000 but might go up to $50-60k by the end of the year. 
Looking for a house for $130-200k max. Saved around $15k. Plan to save another $20k before applying. Looking for at least 20% down. 
Question: what differnce it will make paying 25% down instead 20%?

Another person I'm going to get a mortgage with has $19k debt which we plan to reduce to $6-10k in 2 years. Clean history of on time payments, no deliquencies etc. She has around 8 CC accounts, a few open/closed loans (small amount up to $3000), open student loans (couple thousands each, total close to $10k). Her score is 10-15 points higher than mine and she is in the same income bracket. Her oldest account is about 5 years old but average age just over 2 years. Total around 15 accounts (CCs and loans). 

Notes:
- Both recently changed jobs
- Looking for 1-2 BR apt/condo.

I'm looking for advice. Chances to get approved and get the best interest rate for conventional loans, etc. Maybe something else . Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Need mortgage advice

2 years is a long time in the industry due to guidleines changing all the time. The best thing is bring your scores up and have a low debt-to-income.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. That's what I'm focusing on. Making over $50k/year + keeping my balances under $1000/mo + my FICO above 760. I think these goals are easy to accomplish in 2 years.
Message 3 of 6
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

+1 focus on bring DTI down
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is ideal DTI?
Message 5 of 6
kc0039
Established Contributor

36% with your mortgage

Licensed in IL
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.